DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gathering up the components for my conversion and I am using a 140 volt battery and leaning toward something like an Elcon 3.3 KW OBC -

My question is can I purchase a 3.3 KW charger and put a standard plug on it that plugs into the AC outlet, and then make some sort of plug to quickly plug it into the battery pack ?

my reasons for wanting to do this are many but mainly it will save weight and space which I really need to keep a handle on.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am gathering up the components for my conversion and I am using a 140 volt battery and leaning toward something like an Elcon 3.3 KW OBC -

My question is can I purchase a 3.3 KW charger and put a standard plug on it that plugs into the AC outlet, and then make some sort of plug to quickly plug it into the battery pack ?

my reasons for wanting to do this are many but mainly it will save weight and space which I really need to keep a handle on.
I'm confused, since the short answer is, of course why not?

Maybe if you explained what you think the obstacles are?

Of course your plug must match "the AC outlet", and its power V/A must be within the charger specs.

Installing it in the car, or next to that AC outlet, or keeping it in a backpack, none of those things changes its weight.

And of course your battery pack must have a connector (which doesn't weigh much) otherwise how would it ever get charged?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a charger that comes with its own plug system it looks like a poor cousin to the J1772 set up

I started thinking about it and one reason I might just go with the J1772 is for safety - it might be better for 2 reasons - one you cant drive off while the car is charging and also I think less likely to get electrocuted if it is raining outside.

looks like I need to think this thing through

1 - 4 of 4 Posts