DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello members,
I am interested in converting a 90,000 mile 1997 Hyundai accent GT (automatic) into an electric vehicle with my father. I have limited experience with electric vehicles. However, my father and I regularly do our own car maintenance and have always found ways for the family cars to pass the inspections. (including repairing the suspension, air-fuel sensors, leaking gas tanks, exhaust systems)

1)Could somebody provide me with a general list of the parts required for such a build? I am interested in a max speed >=70 mph and a range of about 90 (Best case scenario for range). Money wise I have 10 thousand dollar budget but if truly necessary can probably go to 15 thousand.

2) Are there any complications that would arise with using an automatic transmission? (I know that the vehicle i wish to convert is not ideal, however, we already own the vehicle and it has not been and will not be used again. It would negate the costs of a donor car) Apparently the transmission in the car is fairly efficient.

3) What type of power sources do you recommend? Basic research has enlightened me to the benefits of using capacitors. Does anyone know whether or not those will be more viable than lithium batteries?

3)Please provide all input possible. I do not have enough experience in this field. Please provide your opinions.
Thank you in advance,
GeneralFatman

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Hello, General and welcome to the forums.

Just as food for thought, my 1,900 Lb car uses 36- 130ah cells and gets about 60 miles per charge if driven sanely. A $7,000 battery pack.

The motor-controller-contactor was $4,500

The total electric conversion was about $12,500
Plus the car......

At $15,000 you would be marginal for a heavier car for around 70 miles.

Just my guess, others may not agree. Miz

1 - 2 of 2 Posts