DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking around, it looks like Hella has put out a UP5.0 pump that is 73db compared to the UP32's 78db, bit less amperage and better capacity. Problem is, I can't find it for sale anywhere. Anyone seen this thing in the wild yet?

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Hella UP-28 does not have a build in switch. I initially thought to use the UP-28 but found it quite noisy. After some further research I listed the Ford A426C and the Mes Dea 70/6E2 as alternatives.
I've compared the Hella with the Mes Dea.
Technology Games Auto part Electronic device

The Mes Dea is more silent and I have chosen to use that one.
It has a build in pressure switch.
More details of my comparison and conclusion in my blogpost: Further details of my electric Volvo Amazon wagon
I've not further explored the Ford pump.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Out of interest, I discovered the UP-28 is not meant for use as a sole method of vacuum, it's meant as an assister pump in ICE applications. The UP-32 is designed for solo use and is a lot faster to pull vacuum.

That said, I've been successfully using a UP-28 in my conversion without issue for several years now, but I tend to drive quite steady and don't need to use the brakes excessively so it has an easy life!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Hella UP-28 does not have a build in switch. I initially thought to use the UP-28 but found it quite noisy. After some further research I listed the Ford A426C and the Mes Dea 70/6E2 as alternatives.
I've compared the Hella with the Mes Dea.
I do want a quiet pump, but I've heard that diaphragm pumps fail over time as discussed in Tim Catellier's post:

http://evz3.blogspot.jp/2013/11/brakes-car-shows-and-solar-power.html

Is your experience different? Do you replace the diaphragm on a regular basis to avoid an in transit failure? The Hella sound levels of some 70db or higher is a bit severe, so am willing to listen to other options.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hydrobooster? I already need an electric hydraulic pump for my power steering. If I can trade out my vacuum brake booster for a hydraulic one, I wouldn't need a vacuum pump at all. Anyone try this? Biggest challenge for me is I'm converting a BMW Z3, so conversion kits are probably not off the shelf. Might just change out the whole assembly (booster and master cylinder) but not sure how that'll work with the ABS or car in general.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You might also consider an iBooster made by Bosch and for example used by Tesla.
Some info in http://www.diyelectriccar.com/#/topics/170770?page=1 post #11 and a little further some more.
Just apply 12V and you have assister brakes.
In the Netherlands getting it registered with that booster can be a challende (too much changes). So I’m converting to electric with traditional brakes first and perhaps upgrade later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the lead. Hadn't heard of the iBooster from Bosch. Sounds a little tricky to procure and utilize. Sounds like people have gotten them from parted out Teslas. Do you work through junkers to find that type of thing, or does someone carry them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
i know the Oldsmobile diesel 350 V8 engines back in the 90s had a very similar pump that rad all of the vacuum powered devices in the car including the power brakes. it looked like the very same pump unit with a different mount/ drive system. Gm trucks withe the 6.2 diesel had a belt driven one similar to what ford used

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.