1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I understood correctly Prius has 2 electric motor working togheter:
one for power
one for torque

they are connected via e planetary gear etc etc.

- Is this a useful layout for DIY?
- Having 2 motor in series with different specs means to have two controllers?
- Would it be helpful for best battery usage or there are not graet differences compared to a single motor layout?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Reason for using two motors is lack of budget/power.

If they where to sell the Prius as a sports car and an budget appropriate for such a car they would have ditched the idea to use one smaller for torque and one larger for 35mph driving. More likely then would have been a single high power motor to deliver both off the line torque and power.

Somehow all commercial personal electric vehicles are 'automatics' as in without a mechanical shifter. Even the single motor Leaf uses just one gear, maybe that trend it is trying to tell something :rolleyes:

·
Registered
541 Posts
The Prius has an engine as well. One motor is coupled to the ICE with a planetary gearset while the other is directly on the output shaft. The controllers are programmed to keep the ICE operating most efficiently.
I don't see any efficiency or operational gains using 2 electric motors with a planetary and no ICE.
Gerhard

If I understood correctly Prius has 2 electric motor working togheter:
one for power
one for torque

they are connected via e planetary gear etc etc.

- Is this a useful layout for DIY?
- Having 2 motor in series with different specs means to have two controllers?
- Would it be helpful for best battery usage or there are not graet differences compared to a single motor layout?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts