DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha,
Stephen here in Hawaii. I purchased an Azure Transit connect a few weeks ago, and it's very basic. I was curious anyone with an EV either home built a factory to modified has installed an +/- meter to tell how much your drawing when you apply power, then when you let off how much your regenerating. I also own a 2011 leaf, and you get a lot of info out of the displays,,,cept the range guess o meter. The Azure was well thought out but some gauges were omitted probably due to space and keeping the cost down. The range meter in there I'm not 100% sure how accurate, so mainly go off state of charge (SOC) which reads like a gas needle. I haven't really gotten the SOC down below probably 8 miles as I have with the leaf. still doing some ranging experiments.

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Azure but in our vans that information is generated by the BMS (Orion) and fed into the instrument cluster via CANBUS where we use the tachometer, with a different legend, to read amps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not familiar with the Azure but in our vans that information is generated by the BMS (Orion) and fed into the instrument cluster via CANBUS where we use the tachometer, with a different legend, to read amps.

What type of van are you using? I asked for help from the only EV shop in Hawaii, they said i'd have to rewire the whole van, don't seem accurate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dodge Ram Promaster 3500. We leave the factory gas engine ECU in place but have our ECU talk to it. There is not much wiring removed and only about 120 wires added in. This is due to the way that FCA architectured the system, for instance, the Body Control Module is a programmable unit all on its own. It doesn't care where a CAN message comes from as long as it's in the proper format. I can actually log on to a laptop and turn things on and off from my desk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts