DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm looking in to a special project.
I want to power a diff on a single axle 2 ton trailer towed by a 4x4 Mitsubishi Canter. The trailer may utilise a front diff out of the truck.
The trailer will only require drive when in difficult conditions. I expect that to be low range and low gears. Speed up to 10kph.
The trailer will have free wheeling hubs to disengage above 10kph.
The diff ratio is close to 6:1
What motor power and spec would achieve this result ?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
If you want to climb a crazy 100% grade (45 degrees from horizontal) with a ton (1000 kg) of trailer at 10 km/h and the trailer's motor doing all the work you'll need about 20 kW of motor output power. With a smaller trailer, and/or a more reasonable grade, and/or more help from the Canter, of course you'll need less power.

With tires of a similar size to those on the Canter (maybe 245/75R16, about 775 mm tall), 10 km/h would be only about 70 rpm, so the input to the axle would only turn at about 420 rpm (with a 6:1 ratio). Whatever motor you use, if you have reduction gearing (or chain drive, or toothed belt drive) between the motor and the axle input you can use a smaller (and faster-turning) motor for the same drive power and torque to the wheels.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts