DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Would this Power Sonic PS-62000 make a good EV battery? I realize I would need 14-20 of them. I found someone selling some for a good price (not even close to retail $$$).

PDF Link:
http://www.power-sonic.com/images/powersonic/sla_batteries/ps_psg_series/6volt/PS-62000_10_June_22.pdf
Hi sport,

The numbers on that spec sheet don't look too bad. But buyer beware when it comes to batteries, especially discounted batteries. Why are they discounted? Used? Old stock? Neglected? Is the seller going to stand behind them?

It looks like these are intended for stationary standby power applications. The spec sheet does not give any use restriction. But the seller and/or manufacturer may not approve of a vehicle application and may not honor warranty.

Regards,

major

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply.

The batteries were to provide backup power for a 7 unit condo. The inspection demanded new wiring to be installed so they are selling the set of 14 PS-62000 batteries. They are less then a year old and were never used.

I just aquired a 1988 Fiero and plan on using it for an EV conversion. I am still in the research/learning phase right now. Don't want to buy something that will not work. I didn't see anywhere if these were deep cycle batteries or not. The manufacture hasn't responded to my inquiry either.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
The batteries were to provide backup power for a 7 unit condo. The inspection demanded new wiring to be installed so they are selling the set of 14 PS-62000 batteries. They are less then a year old and were never used.

I just aquired a 1988 Fiero and plan on using it for an EV conversion. I am still in the research/learning phase right now. Don't want to buy something that will not work. I didn't see anywhere if these were deep cycle batteries or not. The manufacture hasn't responded to my inquiry either.
On page 2 there is a chart: Life Characteristics in Cyclic Use. It shows 200 to 300 cycles at 100% DOD. This would be considered Deep Cycle. Of course you would not want to use them to 100%, maybe 80. And then expect maybe 3 to 400 cycles.

Less than a year old. Do they have a manufactured date or warranty date? Where they installed and not used? Were they periodically charged or float charged? Lots of unknowns which could affect SOH, state of health.

I know from experience that batteries from UPS (standby power) often set unused in the unit for years (because it is backup not needed), yet those batteries have a float charge on them and dry out. Even the AGMs. And after that happens, they are boat anchors. I even saw this on a UPS which was never installed. Don't remember how old it was, maybe 4 years. Still had the shipping tape over the plug. But the 4 batteries inside were dead as doornails and could not be brought back to life.

So, less than a year old. Maybe. And how long before you actually use them? And can you take care of them until you do? Hey, I don't know. Sounds better than 50/50 they might be good. Can you test them?

Your money, your choice, your opportunity :) I hope it works out.

major

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they have a current date stamp, it was Jan this year. They were never charged so they are most likely completely discharged by now. I would take my handy fluke meter and make sure they at least read 2.0vdc before I would consider buying them. If I did buy them first thing I would do is to top charge them because I am sure it'll be 6 more months before they get EV use.

I am hesitent on purchasing them because there's only 14, buying a few more to get 120v would be expensive. Seller wants $600 firm for the lot of 14.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts