DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new on this forum and glad I found it. I am working on a work project to develop a heavy duty mobile cart. We are using two Heinzmann PMS 100 motors with gearing and a pair of Sevcon G4 controllers. I would like to get the motors working on the bench first . Anyone have suggestions for a DC power supply to do development? The motors are rated each for a max of 67A under full load. I don't really want to use batteries just yet. I though of a 50-100A 33-40V DC supply should work initially? Thoughts?Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Honestly, spend the money on a test pack that you can use later. Switching power supplies don't work that well with these controllers (I've tried).

I'd just get 4 cheap 12V batteries, just something to test with. Maybe 20-35Ah or so. A couple 20AH aren't much more than $30 each. A Power supply for that power level (4000W) is going to be way more expensive. Even if you get something used at $0.25 a watt or so, you're still looking at a Grand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly, spend the money on a test pack that you can use later. Switching power supplies don't work that well with these controllers (I've tried).

I'd just get 4 cheap 12V batteries, just something to test with. Maybe 20-35Ah or so. A couple 20AH aren't much more than $30 each. A Power supply for that power level (4000W) is going to be way more expensive. Even if you get something used at $0.25 a watt or so, you're still looking at a Grand.
Ok Thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.