DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been interested in powering a Lesharo with a Prius power train? I'm looking at the possible, and want to hear if anyone has any experience, or interest
THANX AEW

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
That's a lot of vehicle mass and drag for a Prius powertrain. How about at least a Highlander Hybrid instead of a Prius?

Are you considering using a Prius transaxle for an EV only, without the engine, or do you want to keep the engine and operate as a hybrid?

For those not already familiar with it, a Winnebago LeSharo is a small class C motorhome based on a Renault Trafic front wheel drive van cab and powertrain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey I was interested in a ev conversion using a prius motor and controller with drop in board by evbmw.com. Also check out damien magiures channel, he does great builds with reused ev tech.

I was interested in toyota/prius parts because far better OEM quality and cheaper than any new motor i could find online.

I put all the info resources I had found in this thread.

A single 60-80kw prius motor would be a little under powered for a motorhome i guess, could work with correct gearing. Or just use two of the transaxles, they are quite cheap.
As said highlander transaxle even better, less available though.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Sounds horribly underpowered to me, even with two transaxles.

Unlike the Prius, you're going to have a pretty huge cooling job to do due to the continuous HP you need to make. On hill climbs especially.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
I was interested in toyota/prius parts because far better OEM quality and cheaper than any new motor i could find online.
Components from any modern production EV will be of better quality than anything that one could buy at a reasonable price as new aftermarket parts. Using actual EV components is simpler than adapting a hybrid, since the EV will have one motor per axle (or two with individual wheel control) instead of the two in a power-split system, and no extra mechanical components.

For this size of vehicle, a larger salvaged EV drive unit seems appropriate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.