DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my MG EV and finally dug out a problem. The issue was with the throttle cutting out and causing a fault. It was happening with the PB6 and my Evnetics throttle. What is happening is a throttle out of bounds fault. In other words I am moving my throttle too far for the settings and with the PB6 I was getting a cutout on the low end and high end. Now that I know the issue I should be able to adjust out the issues. Will report tomorrow. It will be an excellent new year. Starting out great. Lithium pack should be installed in the next few days. Been weeding out this problem before I switch the lead out. Now to adjust the problem out and then do a battery change.

Pete :)

No issue with the throttle like I had thought with the PB6. Better with the Evnetics throttle but still needs finer adjustments.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New issue found. The throttle is apparently not the problem after all. I took out 4 batteries and put it to 96 volts and the system is running perfectly. I get good power for 96 volts and no cutting out. That means that maybe the controller is not what it is claimed to be. So at this point I will contact Kelly and give them my SN number to see if in fact this is a 144 volt 850 amp controller. If it is then the controller is not liking 144 volts. I have my High voltage cut back at 180 some odd volts. If it is a lower voltage controller then I will need to set up according to that. Not sure why it keeps cutting out at the 144 volt setup. I will be putting in two more batteries and check again at 120 volts. The drive in the rain today was quite invigorating and wet. What the heck, I need to test so I will do so rain or shine. :)

More to come later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We shall see. Could be something else but at this point I doubt it. Bummer. It is a KDHB. So not an old model. Double Bummer. Going to do a couple more things before conceding. Don't jump on being a Kelly problem with only a few things spoken about what I have been doing. It always amazes me how fast folks jump on shit before the full facts are presented. I am a beta tester for Kelly so I will have no trouble posting problems as and if I find them. I also let Kelly know of known problems.

So before you jump on Kelly let me do some further testing. Could be a funky setting or some stupid issue that is not seen yet on the wire up job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS. I did not wire up this car. I am going through it to see what is up. The motor is great. I may just dismantle this vehicle and sell it for parts. Heck the motor is near new. Warp Impulse 9" motor is sweet. I like it. Back to the controller issue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news, 120 is working just fine too. Thinking a program setting mostly at this point.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smoked three wires in the controller harness. Working on repairing that. Bummer. One connection was loose. Found the hard way. Bummer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Controller power in not working. Going to open it up to see if its just the wires melted. Putting 12 volts only to the controller results in a short and a tiny spark. So I am thinking that the internal wires from the harness connection may be toasted too. No smoke ever came from the controller but does not mean its not in need of repair. I will keep you informed as to my findings.

This controller is out of warranty so I have no qualms about opening it up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thought you were loyal to Kelly
Heck, not that loyal. I have done some beta testing but have been using a Beta Synkromotive for over 2 years now. Thing runs perfect. Still waiting for the new upgrade version as our Beta replacements. Hopefully early this year. I pushed it to the hilt and even in extreme hot weather and it never ever ever got hot. I still like that controller but I am leaning towards a nice Soliton1. I have the money to get one now. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dang, when I moved a couple things and put it all back together I toasted the controller input 12volt power and I am afraid I did smoke the controller. Damn. Damn Damn. My fault. Most likely the input power section but since the whole damn thing is coated inside I have no idea how to fix it. Maybe if Kelly is still around they will fix it for me even with no warranty. They have done this before. It is my fault and not the fault of the Kelly. I crossed the polarity and I am guessing that the controller has no protection against reversing the polarity from stupid moves like mine. Would be a good thing to implement.

Pete :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got my email into Victor, Fany, and Steven. We shall see. I see no reason for them to be gone at this time.

Nope, not sarcasm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts