DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I got myself an AC-35 motor and Curtis 1239e controller from ThunderStruckMotors (TSM), I am able to hook them up and get the motor to spin on the test bench.

I also got their CAN Translator which is supposed to convert the live data from the 1239e controller to OBDII format which is hooked up to an OBD Bluetooth transmitter. Has any had any experience with this translator?

I am able to get it powered on and connect to the OBDII transmitter on the Torque app, but it does not show it is connected to an ECU. The problem is that I am unable to get any PID/sensor information, not even adapter voltage for the OBDII transmitter.

From my limited understanding of the OBDII protocol from reading through some of the other posts, a PID/sensor value would have to be polled by the torque app to the ECU (which must be the translator in this case), and then the translator should respond with the value.

In the torque app, if I try to "test" any of the PIDs, it won't do it saying it's not connected to an ECU. So that's what leads me to believe the translator is supposed to be acting as an ECU from an OBDII point of view. Any thoughts on this?

I have gone through the wiring harness and verified good connections from the controller to the translator on pins 23 and 35 for CAN Lo and Hi. I even tried flipping the Hi and Lo wires to see if that were it, but no luck. And double check the translators wiring matching up with the programming wire connector per TSM's manual, it all seems to be correct.

I have tried using 2 different OBDII Bluetooth transmitters. Both are able to connect to torque but don't show connected to an ECU. However, I am able to plug them into my car and get connected to the ECU and show live data in the torque app just fine, so it seems like the OBDII transmitters probably aren't the issue.
I've used a OBDLink LX and a cheaper one.

I should also note, the translator has an indicator light, and so far through everything I've tried, the light has always done a consistent green flash about once per second, I haven't

A few questions I still have, to help narrow down the point of failure:
1. How to verify if the controller is transmitting CAN data?
2. How to verify if the translator is actually receiving the messages and translating?
3. I need to verify if the OBDII transmitter is getting any messages from the signal on the can hi/lo wires. How can I verify that?

Sorry for writing a novel, but I'm trying real hard to get this translator to work before I'm forced to start learning CANopen lol

Any help or thoughts is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well we were able to figure it out! (y) the issue was can bus termination, or the lack there of! Fortunately, you're able to achieve this with TSM's translator by soldering 2 contacts together on the board labeled "CAN term" after this the torque app showed that it was connected to the ECU and I was able to read all PID/sensor values

1 - 2 of 2 Posts