DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit slow in getting this build thread started seeing as how it's been in-process for more than 5 months now. But like they say, better late than never! :eek:

So here are some of the basics on the build.

- It's a 1975 BMW 2002. The ICE was pretty tired with more than 250k miles on it.

- I decided to have RebirthAuto do the actual conversion because if it was left to me, it would take 2+ years to get road worthy.

- We are keeping the 4-speed manual transmission and Rebirth has made an adapter from a single block of aluminum to mate the transmission and the Warp9 motor through the stock clutch/pressure plate.

- Power will come from 11 Deka Deep Cycle GEL 12VDC 97.6AH Batteries. 8 will be mounted in the trunk and 3 in the engine compartment along with a service battery.

- Controller is a Soliton1 with liquid cooling running through a heat exchanger to keep everything cool.

- Air conditioning is supplied through a GM compressor mounted to the front of the Warp9 with a custom mount made by Rebirth.

- Monitoring/instrumentation will be via PakTrakr.

- DC/DC converter was originally planned to be Kelly Controls but I believe that has since changed. (I'll update once I know the specs)

- Battery charger was also originally planned to be a Kelly but that has also changed. (I'll update once I know the specs)

I'll post progress pictures as it moves along.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Awesome, I cant wait this car done. Prepare to be bugged about test results with the Soliton1 (atleast i know i'll bug ya)

Just a question, how come you decided on 11 12v batteries instead of 12 12v (132 vs 144 nominal voltage). I guess im just so used to seeing people running 48, 72, 120, 144, 156 volts thats its a bit strange to see a 132.

Another question, what color is the 2002? it looks like that malaga color BMW had. cant really see that well in the pics

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, I cant wait this car done. Prepare to be bugged about test results with the Soliton1 (atleast i know i'll bug ya)
Thanks! I can't wait to start driving it and providing routine updates on performance of the Soliton1.

Just a question, how come you decided on 11 12v batteries instead of 12 12v (132 vs 144 nominal voltage). I guess im just so used to seeing people running 48, 72, 120, 144, 156 volts thats its a bit strange to see a 132.
It was a decision based primarily on real estate. I will post some pictures of the trunk and engine bay and how we had to lay out the battery trays to accomodate the 11 batteries and still have some room in the trunk for groceries. :D

Another question, what color is the 2002? it looks like that malaga color BMW had. cant really see that well in the pics
The color is the original Siennabraun but my wife and I are trying to decide what the final color will be. My best friend is in the paint & body industry so we can go just about any direction with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you're not going to cut a hole under rear seat/trunk to hang the batteries lower? you'd have lots more room in the trunk!
That wasn't really a practical solution at the time. We removed the fuel tank and were able to fit 4 batteries there. Another 4 were fit between the wheel wells/shock towers directly behind the back seat. We were trying to keep all of the batteries outside of the passenger compartment. If the 11 batteries don't provide the performance or range that I need, we'll relook the remaining space and go from there. The spare tire well is a prime candidate.

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
I love the 2002, it's a great car, one of the first normal cars I worked on after playing with Land Rovers during my school days.

What is the AC compressor for? Are you going for AC or are you using the compressor for the brakes? That is the sort of mounting I want to put on my conversion to use the AC compressor for my brake vacuum. I don't have a motor yet though never mind a tail shaft to work from.:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After all the battery trays were mocked-up, I had Rebirth pull everything back out so that we could repaint the trunk and engine bay. We decided to go with a satin black which should make all of the machined aluminum 'pop'.

Here she is back at my house with my buddy Steve prepping it for paint.

Steve getting busy

The finished product

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the AC compressor for? Are you going for AC or are you using the compressor for the brakes? That is the sort of mounting I want to put on my conversion to use the AC compressor for my brake vacuum. I don't have a motor yet though never mind a tail shaft to work from.:D
It's for air conditioning which was a 'must have' before the wife would agree to the conversion. :rolleyes:

We are using a MES-DEA Vacuum Pump for the brake booster.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once the engine bay and trunk were painted, I brought it back to Rebirth for final fabrication. So here are, what I consider, the good pictures!

Back at Rebirth (in the lower right is the heat exchanger for the controller)

Motor back in

Battery trays going back in

House and front batteries going in

Here you can see the heat exchanger and coolant recovery/expansion tank mounted where the original radiator was

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vacuum pump mounted underneath between the battery well (original fuel tank) and spare tire well

Trunk batteries and charger with some of the battery hold-downs

And this is where the controller will mount. This one is being use for placement, mine will be natural aluminum color.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
292 Posts
FarFrom Stock,

Beautiful.

The Al adapter plate and clam shell motor mount are particularly impressive! Very pretty design and execution (this not be cheap!). The AC mount is also a work of art. Laser or waterjet? Very, very nice.

Rob

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.