DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some trouble deciding on a motor. I'll decide what controller I'll be using based on that. Most likely I'll be using 12v lead batteries. Maybe gel depending on cash. So, basically I have an old red snapper brand mower. I don't have the specs, but they were very popular years ago. They're easily spotted by the small tires, red mower, and white handlebars. The factory motor mounts behind the seat. I'd like to twist the throttle and pull wheelies. Top speed is not important. Would something like a 48v 1000 Watt motor be enough?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Sorry. Not my pic and my internet is acring real shady right now. As for weight, i would guess 300lb??? Still looking for actual numbers. It looks just like the one in the pic. I plan on doing away with the blades and tac welding the deck on for aesthetics. Sorry for the rushed post. Will try and clarify tomorrow

·
Registered
511 Posts
A 1000 W motor is only 1.25 HP, or there abouts. Now assuming you're about like the guy in the picture (or myself) add another 200 for driver, another 200 for batteries (assuming 4 x 12v, around 50 lbs each, could be lighter). That's an estimated 700 lbs. Now I don't have a great feel for HP, but one horse trying to pull 700 lbs doesn't sound like a good time. You said max speed wasn't important, but I'd say it'd just nudge along. I'd probably recommend a slightly larger motor, maybe a 2 or 3 hp like one of these (full disclosure: KTA is a site sponsor, but I've never bought form them and don't have any association with them)

http://store.kta-ev.com/dcmotors.aspx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh wow, getting to be a bit more $$$ than i was willing to spend. Thank you for tue input though. I'll probly just try and coble my 14hp briggs side shaft on it and hunt for an old electric golf cart maybe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts