DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've had my mk1 MR2 on the road now for ~2 years and I have about 4500 miles on it. The other day I was driving and I lost all my drive power to the wheels. The motor was still spinning and there was friction, but something was slipping, like the clutch or the coupler.

I haven't gotten the chance to tear into it yet (I'm afraid of what I'm going to see). But the thought occured to me, is this due to the way I drive the car?

I have always started from a stop with the clutch fully engaged, because my thought was there was no need to feather it in like you would with with an ICE. I only used the clutch when I change gears.

I personaly think that this is the correct way to drive a conversion, but I was just courious what everybody else does.

thanks

·
Registered
601 Posts
That is also the way I drive away from a stop light/sign. It is probably the most gentle on the clutch, however the additional torque that the electric motor can provide compared to the original ICE is probably putting stress on the clutch. Every conversion experience I've heard about with a clutch seems to have the owner swapping the clutch out for a performance version fairly quickly (usually within a year or so). Probably go with a level/stage 3 or level/stage 4 performance clutch and you'll be on the road again and won't likely have to change it again so soon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I forgot to mention. The clutch was brand new at the time of the conversion. I put in a nice stage 2. It should have plenty of life left in it.

when it first happened, something was just splipping, and I thought it was the clutch. But now we I spin the motor there is a pronounced clunk as the more rotates which speeds up and slows down as the motor RPM increase/decreases.

so soemthing has come lose or broken inside. it is either broke input shaft to the transmission, broken/bad clutch, broken/lose coupler, or broken output shaft on the motor. The clunking doesn change when I push in the clutch so I'm thinking isn't the transmission, but that assumes the clutch is still working properly

I'm hopeing for clutch or coupler,while none of these are cheap in time or money, the clutch and couple are the cheapest/ easiest to fix.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Lordwacky said:
... I put in a nice stage 2. ...
yep, I suspect the clutch. I suspect you got a longer life out of it because you drive it fairly easy and you did have a slightly upgraded clutch over the stock unit, but to have it hold, I believe (rightly or wrongly) that you need to have a stage 3 minimum, and if you drive with any sort of performance manner, probably a stage 4.

I'll be interested in what you find, to see if it matches the other reports that lead me to this assumption.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I drive the same way, and have recently upgraded to a racing clutch and an additional inch in diameter. I was able to roast the original clutch in any gear. The racing clutch does not "blend" as smoothly, and the pedal is a little stiffer, but since I don't use the clutch while stopped it does not really matter. It sounds like you will need to pull your motor out and see what kind of damage you have. Sorry to hear...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts