DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are currently only charging at the shop. We have a Brusa NLG513 3kW charger in manual mode in the vehicle and a standard J1772 port. 2003 VW Golf GL 2.0L conversion to an Electric Vehicle.
The charger is set to pull a max of 16amp 220vac and will shut down on its own after completing charging sequences. The current process is to plug in J1772 port / flip breaker on/ turn on charger sense switch. The Brusa obviously does not talk to our dryer wall outlet. Looking at the standards for public station charging, it appears that all we need to do to charge publically is place the proper resistor across the two connection sense ports that will tell the public station to turn on the 220v at 16 or more amps. Is there more to it than this to get the [email protected] amps to flow?

·
Registered
739 Posts
As you learn solutions and come across good references, vendors etc

please add useful links and comments for those coming across this later

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We still need some help getting our NLG513 to charge from a public port. A crude diagram is attached or found at our blog. The CP line is connected to the charger. I note that when using the shop system, 220VAC must be applied to the charger before it comes up with the error and connected lights, and then we turn on the PON switch and the error light goes out and the charging process begins. As I understand the public stations, they must communicate with the charger before they apply 220VAC, SO the charger must have a low voltage circuit on the CP line that turns on before we see any lights? We are running the charger in manual mode, is there a setting we need to turn on to have it look for the CP line? We have read the hardware and software manuals, but must be missing the information, any direction back to a page in the manuals is welcome, or direct "do this"
J1772 charge circuit.png
J1772 charge circuit.png is welcome too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I made myself a very simple J1772 box once, with 2 resistors, a diode, and a switch.
Rather like this: wikipedia image
CP wiring - diode, then a 2.7K to ground (this tells the EVSE it's connected) and also a 1.3K to ground (requests power on).
You can probably ignore the proximity wiring unless you want to use it to enable/disable the charger.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that not what is already in the charger CP connection? OR is that what Brusa expects me to connect to the dangling connector in the wheel well?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think Brusa wants that connected... Looking at the manual for NGL5 chargers, it seems like the CP connection only monitors the current limit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Page 39 (above) of the manual does not show anything beyond the direct connection.
Page 13 (below)
"3.4.1 Control Pilot (CP)
The control pilot is a safety installation which also increases the reliability of the charging process of an electric
vehicle. It is absolutely necessary if the supply-side charging current exceeds 16 A. The CP signal is fed to the
charger from the charging station via an additional contact in the mains plug and thereby transmits the maximum
permitted current carrying capacity of the mains socket. Here, currents of 6 A - 32 A can be transmitted. The CP
signal generator can also be integrated into an adapter cable for normal household sockets. In this case, this signal
generator transmits a suitable current limitation so that the household socket is not overloaded.
The CP interface enables the bi-directional exchange of information between the charging station and the electric
vehicle and it is standardised worldwide. "

Page 9 of the SW manual
"
5 NLG513 State Machine (Wake-up and Sleep Mechanisms)
INFORMATION
The NLG5 is capable of waking up automatically via the following wake-up signals or in connection
with a superior unit (e.g. VCU):
 Control pilot (CP)
 Pin 3PON, e.g. switched by superior control as the VCU
 CAN signal NLG5_CTL (e.g. Rx at 618) "

I do not understand where the NLG gets its power from to wake up. Does it pull power from the 400V car battery back through the output leads? Does it pull power from the public charging station through the CP pins?

Based on your statement I should connect to the dangling connector as shown below to cause the system to go into ready mode from the public charger side? Then the Brusa will turn on, read the charging current limit on the CP line, and then the PON switch will initiate the charging?
suggested connection.JPG

·
Registered
151 Posts
NGL is pulling power through L1 and N (120/240v connections).
Connecting CP should wake up the charger -- but L1 and N won't have power unless you have the resistors and diode connected, thus the charger can't wake up.

Your circuit should work -- I haven't used a Brusa myself but that makes sense.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do I need to stop at the 9V to activate the wave generator as explained in wiki (see below), or can I just jump to the 6V directly by placing a single 880ohm resistor with the diode. Do I need a switch...?

The Control Pilot line circuitry examples in SAE J1772:2001 show that the current loop CP-PE is connected permanently on the vehicle side via a 2.74 kΩ resistor, making for a voltage drop from +12 V to +9 V when a cable is hooked up to the charging station, which activates the wave generator. The charging is activated by the vehicle by adding parallel 1.3 kΩ resistor resulting in a voltage drop to +6 V or by adding a parallel 270 Ω resistor for a required ventilation resulting in a voltage drop to +3 V. Hence the charging station can react by only checking the voltage range present on the CP-PE loop.[22] Note that the diode will only make for a voltage drop in the positive range; any negative voltage on the CP-PE loop will shut off the current as being considered a fatal error (like touching the pins).
Base statusCharging statusResistance, CP-PEResistance, R2Voltage, CP-PE
Status AStandbyOpen, or ∞ Ω+12 V
Status BVehicle detected2740 Ω+9±1 V
Status CReady (charging)882 Ω1300 Ω+6±1 V
Status DWith ventilation246 Ω270 Ω+3±1 V
Status ENo power (shut off)0 V
Status FError−12 V

·
Registered
151 Posts
880 ohm alone should be fine, but then AC power will never shut off - thus when you take the plug out there will be some sparking - also you might have to pay more if using public charging (since charge never 'ends').
I think when I used resistors to activate my EVSE it was fine with the 880 ohms at startup.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought the resistors in the handle trigger would cause the shutdown of the AC when I pressed the trigger? I think they call it pre-release signal...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not sure if those will shut down the AC - usually pressing the trigger signals the car to stop drawing current, preventing arcing in the EVSE relay or in the plug itself. Then the car will turn off the switch with the 1.3k, turning off the EVSE relay. Maybe set up an Arduino to handle the inputs/outputs?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found that placing the "880ohm" and diode does start a cheap wall unit. Measured the resistance and voltage and found that actually an 1100ohm was needed to draw the voltage to 7.03V and then it worked. the 875ohm left he voltage at 7.23V and the system would not start. Tried the same resistor with a Bosch expensive unit, and noted the voltage dropped to 3.xxV I cannot explain why it dropped so low, the sensor voltage was 11.96V unloaded. Tried the 875V and the system would say ready, but on activation it would turn back off immediately.

Thoughts out there?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cheap unit needed a 1100ohm, expensive unit wouldn't work either way... Weird. Can you try running either one through the standard cycle, going from the 2.7k to 880? Maybe the Bosch unit has an actual MCU inside which is pickier.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried that, The Bosch unit would get to status C, ready charging, The charger would turn on for a split second and then turn back off and the Bosch would say there was a fault in the line. I suspect the Brusa was happy, that the Bosch fault was the issue. I am thinking the ground check may be the issue and maybe I need one of the sense wires to be grounded to the car also?

·
Registered
151 Posts
GFCI could be an issue. PE does need a ground to the car.
Maybe the Brusa has its own resistors on CP which are messing up the voltage on that line?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Problem solved. The cord I bought to go from the charger port to the charger had a preinstalled resistor a couple of feet down the cord between pin 5 (PP) and pin 3 (gnd). When I was adding my CP resistors the (PP) resistor was in series but not in my measuring path, thus the Wall side charging station was not getting the proper CP signal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts