DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been scouring the forum for any insight on charging with panels for the main pack of a vehicle. The general consensus is that I wouldn’t have enough space and so the conversation does there. Space is not a limiting factor on the vehicle I am using as it is almost 35 feet long and flat on the top. I plan to create an unfolding tri fold of panels that open wide using 400w panels to cover the surface. I am not bothered by the expense of this, I just want to understand my limits and any other viability issues. I am looking at using a 400v pack at 90kw.

This is NOT meant to supplement the battery under load, it is purely meant to be used when the vehicle is “off” and stationary.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The HV inverters to change voltages to domestic AC can be/are expensive. It has been done at lower voltages. Many people use roof top solar on RV's, 5th wheels, Cargo trailers for charging 24-48v battery banks. You might head over to secondlifestorage.com or other powerwall/energy storage forums and ask there. Someone here may have done this.
Later floyd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much appreciated, thank you I’ll have a look there. I did see where people were converting the DC off of each panel to AC and then sending the power from there. Curious if the viability of that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts