DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Question:
Seeing that EV technology is changing so rapidly these days, how do you choose what batteries, motors and other components to use in your builds? Do you think any major auto OEM (like Tesla) will eventually sell their batteries, motors and other components direct to consumers or garages?
Answer:
It all depends on what the customer is looking for and you go from there. I think the major manufactures outside Tesla already do, its just prohibitively expensive at this point. Also its not like an engine that works basically anywhere. OEM motors are looking for information from all over the car and will not work without the proper modules also making it unfeasible to use.
These are good observations.

The availability of the complete Bolt battery pack, at a reasonable price, from GM dealers has come up in discussion here a few times. My guess is that the motor and transaxle are available, too, but the parts websites can be a challenge to navigate.

The difficulty of using OEM components (whether salvage or new) outside of the original vehicle context is, of course, a major topic of discussion here. Examples include components from Tesla (all Model S/X so far), Nissan (Leaf), and GM (Bolt).

Since this Audi is the only example I've seen of a Tesla motor adapted to a non-Tesla transmission, it would have been good to ask how this was accomplished.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I try to ask this or a similar question to everyone I interview. It's a great topic! I am very curious to see how Chevy in particular handles the selling of the eCOPO motor.

I have been trying to get Polykup to agree to a separate interview solely about the build of the Audi. This was more of a focus on their background & business. Its gotten very good views, so I hoping that gets them to agree to a follow up! Then again, they might want to share to much technical detail, given this is their business...

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I am very curious to see how Chevy in particular handles the selling of the eCOPO motor.
The situation for eCOPO Camaro components will be very different from regular production components, since the eCOPO is a promotional race vehicle (not a production or roadworthy vehicle), and the components are not even based on anything used by GM in production. The motor does use two BorgWarner HVH 250-150 cores, which were originally developed for GM's two-mode hybrid, but they are no longer used in any GM product. GM builds their own motors, similar in design (High-Voltage Hairpin bar-wound) to the HVH line.

According to GM's Russ O’Blenes (Director, Performance Variants, Parts and Motorsport) as quoted in a GM media page:
“The possibilities are intriguing and suggest a whole new world for racers,” said O’Blenes. “Chevrolet pioneered the concept of the high-performance crate engine right around the time the original COPO Camaro models were created, and the eCOPO project points to a future that could include electric crate motors for racing, or even your street rod. We’re not there yet, but it’s something we’re exploring.”
Crate engine distribution is very different from production car replacement component distribution.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, not there yet but I think they will figure it out.

Last I saw they planned to have the same bell house mounting pattern and crankshaft flange so that its able to be mounted to the LS transmissions.The current set-up has it mounted the COPO 3-speed auto.

I am mostly interested to see what kind of "education" they provide or try to push out if they sell similar to how they sell crate motors. Only time will tell...

·
Registered
5 Posts
GM stated that their series of crate electric motors would bolt up to most any GM tranny
used in muscle cars - 400, 350, 700, etc.
Obviously the crate engine is the bet way to go - you are not ghetting tied into a one-off made-up system that no one can fix outside of the guy who dreamed it up, and parts would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Reading between the lines, eCOPO was nothing more than GM PR riding the coattails of a high school teacher, who has a racing team, whose kids helped build the car, IMO. The easiest way to do that was to replace the LS with HV250 cores and use third party electronics. I doubt GM put a nickel into it and there's NOTHING in the conversion that uses GM EV parts, which should stink to any journalist worth their salt. I seriously doubt you'll see a "crate" conversion or an eCOPO from GM Performance Parts within a decade from now.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Reading between the lines, eCOPO was nothing more than GM PR riding the coattails of a high school teacher, who has a racing team, whose kids helped build the car, IMO.
Sure, auto manufacturers often make PR with the efforts of race teams - that's why they pay contingency awards.

The easiest way to do that was to replace the LS with HV250 cores and use third party electronics. I doubt GM put a nickel into it and there's NOTHING in the conversion that uses GM EV parts, which should stink to any journalist worth their salt.
Most race teams are not factory-funded, and modifications for racing often have no connection to production parts. Do you really think there are any GM or Ford chassis components in "Chevrolet" and "Ford" NASCAR race cars? I do agree that the general lack of technical connection to past or present GM EVs suggests that GM was not involved in development of the eCOPO, although the HVH motors were originally developed by Remy (a former GM division) for GM's two-mode hybrids.

Yes, I agree that a reasonable journalist would note that there is no connection between the EV components in this race car and GM's production EVs.

I seriously doubt you'll see a "crate" conversion or an eCOPO from GM Performance Parts within a decade from now.
Perhaps not, but GM sells crate motors which share few if any parts with any production engine they have ever built.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts