DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going through my options for the EV accelerator pedal and wanted to see what you folks recommend.
Narrower is better for my specific application; the footwell of a Ferrari Mondial isn't incredibly spacious.

The guidance I was given is that any OEM pedal that will output a 0-5V analog signal AND has an available pigtail (from the junkyard OR from a dealer) so I can integrate it with my own wiring would be viable.

I believe E46 and E90 BMWs have floor mounted accelerator pedals.

GM/ACDelco makes one as well 84366714
Seems to be OE for 2015-2019 Cadillac ATS and relatively cheap as well

A harness also seems readily available as GM is nothing if not a company great at making parts bin stuff

Q: Do you folks have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
-g

·
Registered
221 Posts
Tesla uses a Ford pedal, it is standard dual 5V. Feels quite nice. A lot of them don't have the friction slider inside and so feel quite springy and uncomfortable to cruise as you can't rest your foot on the pedal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tesla uses a Ford pedal, it is standard dual 5V. Feels quite nice. A lot of them don't have the friction slider inside and so feel quite springy and uncomfortable to cruise as you can't rest your foot on the pedal.
This is good to know. Thanks. Downside is that these all seem to be firewall mounted pedals. I need floor mount (stock Mondial pedal was on the floor).
My neighbor has an ATS. I might just need to ask to sit in their car and hit the pedal to see how it feels.
-g

·
Registered
221 Posts
I need floor mount
Same. LHD Chevy was firewall mount, RHD (mine) is floor mount. Toyed with putting the BMW module on the underside and running the pushrod through the toeboard but it isn't IP rated and also I suspect is not electronic/Hall effect. If you are using a contact potentiometer type then it is likely to become troublesome at some point

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is good to know. Thanks. Downside is that these all seem to be firewall mounted pedals. I need floor mount (stock Mondial pedal was on the floor).
My neighbor has an ATS. I might just need to ask to sit in their car and hit the pedal to see how it feels.
-g
A lot of Volvo's pedals are floor-mounted. I have a 2019 XC90 with a floor-mounted pedal that feels pretty nice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks. My son is 7 and has never been to a junkyard. This might be a good father/son pick and pull junkyard excursion if its not raining since
a) junkyards are always interesting to see
b) I can grab the pigtail at the same time as the pedal and
c) these are relatively easy parts to remove off of cars so I'm not likely to run into the impatience of a 7 year old.

I guess the key will be to see which Bay Area pick and pulls have later model cars; I haven't been to one in probably 10 years (since i pulled GT40 heads off an explorer).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This weekend I learned that at least in CA, you must be 16 to enter a junkyard so my kid will have a wait a few years before he can join me. I don't remember this being an issue when I was a kid growing up in TX but its been a while. Luckily, my wife was with me so I had a minder for my kid (we decided to visit some east bay playgrounds for something different) while i went into the JY to look at a few different pedals.

Here's what I learned at the JY in a quick (15min) trip
On the E46, there is a white plastic clip that the pedal attaches to. I would then need to attach that white bracket to my car.

In comparison, the Mercedes of mid 2000s has a "longer" pedal assembly and is mounted to the floor with a single nut through a single hole.
I liked the feel of the Mercedes pedal more so I grabbed it instead along with a pigtail.
Part# A211 301 00 01 -- pretty cheap on eBay

In bay area CA, this pedal cost me ~$23 including JY admission.

- At home, I tested it with a bench power supply and got a good signal across the full sweep: 0-5V. Wiring described here

Mounting will be simple:
  • Flat L shaped bracket to connect to the two points on the car and one stud/bolt to attach the pedal.
  • I'm still debating how far L-R in relation to the stock top mounted brake pedal I want to place the accelerator. The mondial definitely has your feet angled inwards towards the center console compared to your seating position.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts