DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am purchasing a 5K ohm potentiometer with an acceleration pedal for my first EV conversion and I was wondering if any of you could help with something that I'm confused about.

I decided to purchase a 5K ohm potentiometer when I read in my controller's manual (Zilla Standard 1K) that it "uses a standard 5K ohm potentiometer for accelerator pedal input." I then proceeded to look up "5K ohm potentiometer with pedal," when I got a lot of results that looked a lot like this:

I was expecting something more like this (but wired to the acceleration pedal):

I have a tiny hunch that they're the same thing but I'm wondering why the classic potentiometer I'm used to isn't wired to the accelerator pedal like I expected. Do I have to buy these components separately if I want to use the normal potentiometer, rather than the one built into the pedal? What is the difference between using one potentiometer over the other?

Any suggestions on whether I should wire the Curtis PB8 to a pedal myself or just buy a potentiometer built into the pedal like in the first picture? Is there even a difference? Please let me know.

1617139285423.png 1617139355327.png

·
Registered
163 Posts
Go on eBay and buy yourself a used potentiometer from a Toyota Prius. They're simple 0-5v potentiometers. Mine cost $35 including the plug.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go on eBay and buy yourself a used potentiometer from a Toyota Prius. They're simple 0-5v potentiometers. Mine cost $35 including the plug.
Hi reiderM,

I've purchased this toyota prius pedal:

but not the toyota prius potentiometer that you mentioned. Do you know if there's a cable attachment on this accelerator pedal to attach a cable from the pedal to a normal PB-6 potentiometer like this one:

Please get back to me and let me know :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Prius pedal has the potentiometer INSIDE it! You're all set!

I have an identical pedal I'll be using in mine.

You don't need another external potentiometer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts