DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been reading a bit on this forum but this is my first post.

I purchased a 2013 Leaf motor/inverter and the thunderstruck VCU for it.

Now I need to get it all bench tested then work on adapting to a transmission (out of the car) then install everything once it is all working.

I was initially going to get a Chevy volt pack but after looking at the size it looks like I may have some issues storing that in my garage for a while before using it. It looks like taking them apart to make the form factor better will require a lot of safe handling processes I will need to read a lot about at some point. I did get some class 0 gloves/covers for whenever needed.

Has anyone tried using 20x small SLA batteries like a 12v 9ah with F2 terminals? I only need enough capacity to turn the motor to test all the electronics etc and can get them for less than 20$ each then reuse for other projects later.

240v ac to Bridge rectifier sounds like another option but not sure if it needs a cap or can feed the inverter directly.

I saw two videos on YouTube showing these as possible options but did not see the other specs needed.

I have experience on smaller motors (ebike, rc, and scooter motors), house wiring, and several ground up builds of ICE cars but the EV is new to me and something I am excited to learn about.

Again, I will invest in the proper packs once it is all tested.

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi, I have been reading a bit on this forum but this is my first post.

I purchased a 2013 Leaf motor/inverter and the thunderstruck VCU for it.

Now I need to get it all bench tested then work on adapting to a transmission (out of the car) then install everything once it is all working.

I was initially going to get a Chevy volt pack but after looking at the size it looks like I may have some issues storing that in my garage for a while before using it. It looks like taking them apart to make the form factor better will require a lot of safe handling processes I will need to read a lot about at some point. I did get some class 0 gloves/covers for whenever needed.

Has anyone tried using 20x small SLA batteries like a 12v 9ah with F2 terminals? I only need enough capacity to turn the motor to test all the electronics etc and can get them for less than 20$ each then reuse for other projects later.

240v ac to Bridge rectifier sounds like another option but not sure if it needs a cap or can feed the inverter directly.

I saw two videos on YouTube showing these as possible options but did not see the other specs needed.

I have experience on smaller motors (ebike, rc, and scooter motors), house wiring, and several ground up builds of ICE cars but the EV is new to me and something I am excited to learn about.

Again, I will invest in the proper packs once it is all tested.

Thanks for any assistance.
240 AC with bridge rectifier will work and is probably the cheapest option. Make sure the pre-charge is low enough current AND you take it easy with the throttle settings. That is, use low torque settings since you're probably running on lower current from the wall. Also, no regen turned on for a wall connection. Other than that, it will work and much cheaper than a bunch of batteries until you
get the real pack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
240 AC with bridge rectifier will work and is probably the cheapest option. Make sure the pre-charge is low enough current AND you take it easy with the throttle settings. That is, use low torque settings since you're probably running on lower current from the wall. Also, no regen turned on for a wall connection. Other than that, it will work and much cheaper than a bunch of batteries until you
get the real pack.
Thanks for the confirmation on that option.

So no need for capacitor inline just go direct from DC side of rectifier to inverter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.