DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Potbox: is it ok to have that just bolted to the back of the hood? Can it get a bit wet and dirty without being covered?

2/0 Wire: It's definitely easier to run the 120v wire through the car, but is it safe? Should i make the extra effort to run it under the car? would it be protected enough?

What is the best way to connect the breaker to the contactor? they are pretty close to eachother would it still be best to use two copper lugs and cable, or is there a more convienient approach.

I still havent deceided on how many ohms the precharge resistor should be ideally i'd like the precharge time to take no more than 5 seconds. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Maybe sorta kinda help...

I've seen a lot of pot box installs. Try to shield it from direct blastings of water and road grime. It will make them flakey.

I've seen traction cables routed inside a vehicle. I've never done it myself. You really should route them under the car and up enough that they are unlikely to take road debris. I recommend putting them in the slight tunnel that the exhaust system used to occupy. That is what I did on the Rabbit Pickup I built.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Potbox: is it ok to have that just bolted to the back of the hood? Can it get a bit wet and dirty without being covered?

2/0 Wire: It's definitely easier to run the 120v wire through the car, but is it safe? Should i make the extra effort to run it under the car? would it be protected enough?
Don't let the potbox get wet and dirty so it will be more trouble free and just run the wires in conduit if you decide to run them inside. Outside you can also use conduit for added protection if you are worried about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts