DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a simple one to save designing up a blind alley.

I am thinking of using an angle drive gearbox to turn the output of my 12" motor through 90deg. I could make one but I could also buy one.

Would this sort of thing, though not necessarily this one, handle 3500rpm and the sort of torque that a 12" motor might put out?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fleming-8ft-9ft-Grass-Topper-Gear-box-L-Shape-/140388007597?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item20afc6fead
It will be to drive a single rear wheel on a reverse trike of about 500-600kg all up weight so the weak point could be elsewhere in the driveline.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
I am thinking of using an angle drive gearbox to turn the output of my 12" motor through 90deg. I could make one but I could also buy one.

Would this sort of thing, though not necessarily this one, handle 3500rpm and the sort of torque that a 12" motor might put out?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fleming-8ft-9ft-Grass-Topper-Gear-box-L-Shape-/140388007597?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item20afc6fead
It will be to drive a single rear wheel on a reverse trike of about 500-600kg all up weight so the weak point could be elsewhere in the driveline.
Hi Wood,

You better get the specs for it. Gearboxes like other mechanical assemblies have ratings and limits. Also, it may be straight bevel gears. Could be noisy. What's a grass topper? Some type of mower deck? Noise may not be an issue with that. Is it oil splash or grease lubed?

I'd avoid a right angle drive if at all possible.

Cheers,

major

·
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Wood,

You better get the specs for it. Gearboxes like other mechanical assemblies have ratings and limits. Also, it may be straight bevel gears. Could be noisy. What's a grass topper? Some type of mower deck? Noise may not be an issue with that. Is it oil splash or grease lubed?

I'd avoid a right angle drive if at all possible.

Cheers,

major
Cheers major,

I think a topper is one of those big rotary grass cutters towed behind a tractor and driven by the PTO.
I see many advertised at may prices and no specs given. Probably it would only be run at either of the two PTO speeds and be straight cut and maybe a little oil inside.
OK, I'll rule them out.

I am playing with layouts that means my 12" motor will fit transverse but drive a shaft to the rear wheel of the trike.
I figured alongthe lines of Yabert's angle drive motor on his trials bike.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The geezer harley guys have a diff on the bikes that makes them a trike so they can't fall down at stop signs. or take a normal diff, load a spool and just forget about one axle. steal the final gear drive from a BMW bike.

·
Administrator
6,052 Posts
Hi Woodsmith
I have a topper for my old International
mine is belt driven but a gearbox that drives an eight foot topper would take a lot of hammer!

It would be taking most of the power from a small tractor - 60 to 80 Hp
Plus the shocks as you mow small trees!

My 4 liter International struggles to run my UFO topper!

I would NOT expect it to be quiet!

·
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am already using the final drive gear, shaft and swing arm from a BMW at the moment but due to space reasons my motor is sideways so I need to turn the drive round again.
I have another final drive from a Yamaha but it has a 3:1 ratio and I would really be looking at a 1:1 at the motor end.

I think I would skip the topper. Good to know it will be up to the task but I don't want the noise. If I end up making one I will use spiral bevel gears to reduce the noise level.

I am bidding on a chain drive swing arm at the moment and if I get that then I will just change it all for a belt drive layout, cleaner and lighter.

I would then have to use two belts, as the motor is much wider then the rear wheel drive pulley, and transmit through a jack shaft at the swing arm pivot.

·
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that sorts that out.
I have just bought a Honda VFR750 single sided swing arm for £25.:)

I will sort out a belt drive set up. Should be easier and quieter and probably a lot cheaper then then making up a decent bevel box and drive shafts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts