DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal with some Diesel pickup guys that they feel the need to idle them unnecessarily? I go to the hardware store and there's a guy outside of his truck waiting for someone to get off work just idling, so I gotta smell it and it's going in the open doors of the store. Don't get me wrong, it's not the end of the world, but what are these guys thinking? I'm so cool, I gotta Diesel pickup, I don't shut it off even when I'm sleeping? Isn't it enough for some of them to have the ridiculously oversized exhaust tip? :D

Thanks,
Kurt

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
I suppose being a diesel fan I do like the sound of a slow reving diesel engine at idle. I don't even mind the smell of the fuel or exhaust.:eek:

However, I can see why you would rant about it.
In the dim and distant past, for short stops, some drivers would rather leave the diesel running then risk running down the battery trying to start it each time. There isn't an excuse really with modern diesels.

Over here bus drivers are sometimes the worse when they are all stopped at the end of the line for their rest break. There can be a dozen or more buses all with their engines idling.

·
Registered
312 Posts
On the big rigs they idle primarily to keep air up for their brakes - maybe the pickup drivers are under the illusion that they use the same system?

Dawid

·
Administrator
6,105 Posts
Hi Dawidvc

On the big rigs they idle primarily to keep air up for their brakes

Thats an excuse - the brakes are air off - with no pressure the rig does not move!

I think its just that (like me) their first cars would not reliably start and they are locked in that mindset
The question is when us old codgers all die will the new guys escape from that mindset or have we passed on the chalice!

Or must we wait for the car's electronics to do it for us!

·
4,838 Posts
In the past, when buses had their diesel engines at the front next to the driver many drivers suffered an, errr, ummm, 'affliction':eek: caused by the rhythmic throbbing of a big diesel.

Maybe it is the same thing?:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it's an ego thing.

I used to drive truck, and reasons to leave it running were to keep the heat or ac going or if I had a junky truck and was worried it wouldn't restart. Also, for some guys it seems it wasn't their money that was idling away if it was a company truck. I always thought of the needless pollution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ugh, for the idling vehicles. We were on a job-site last week tightening up some fencing, quad with the winch, jeep which is the tool-box on wheels, Big diesel truck and a generator all were left idling for the hour or so it took to tighten things up, drives me crazy the waste, the stench, I mean they already had to pay for the fuel in them now they have to replace it?

I guess it really is true that we work in order to drive, not drive to work. Bah.

Oh and hi all, long time lurker, first time posting, just finally had something to contribute.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Last year someone left one of our company trucks idling over a weekend - the end result was that the truck caught fire from hot exhausts and oily carpets that started smoldering. The whole cab was burned away. I bet if it was electric it won't happen

Dawid

·
4,838 Posts
Oh and hi all, long time lurker, first time posting, just finally had something to contribute.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I hope you find something else to contribute to as well and tell us a little about your interests in EVs.:)

Last year someone left one of our company trucks idling over a weekend - the end result was that the truck caught fire from hot exhausts and oily carpets that started smoldering. The whole cab was burned away. I bet if it was electric it won't happen

Dawid
The nearest equivelent would be ranting about those who leave their EV chargers on when the batteries are full, much like folks do with mobile phone chargers.:D

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Reasons not to idle mine include:

Low EGTs cause more incomplete burn and increases the risk if internal carbon buildup, ring coking and possibly even raw fuel washing down the piston rings and contaminating the oil - and believe me, diesel engine oil has enough problems to worry about as it is!

Even working a diesel of this size lightly can cause the same result so I often try to "exercise" the truck on weekends to get the EGTs and boost high enough to clean/burn things out. One good hard pull up the steepest hill I can find us usually enough to keep things clean inside.

Reasons I will idle under some conditions include:

allowing the turbocharger to cool down (not such a problem with water cooled turbos). One of the worst things you can do to a turbo diesel is run them hard then pull over and shut down immediately.

to keep myself and occupants warm in cold weather,

I've never feared for cold starting, so that doesn't make my list. However I will use the block heater to make warmup time faster for the engine and me inside the cab.

Heehee, there were cases in traffic jambs that I actually shut the engine off completely and simply rolled downhill as we inched forward. At first I stopped bothering to put it in drive and stayed in neutral, then shut it off because we were not moving - one thing led to another and managed to entertain myself that way:rolleyes:. Did that on two separate occasions when a major crash turned the main highway into a parking lot.

Hey woodsmith, I knew there was a reason I liked you. LOL I enjoy the smell of diesel fuel and fumes as well. All in moderation, of course....:D

As for the sound.........don't think I'll ever out grow that:eek: At idle or ramping up for a hill with that roaring clatter and the turbo screaming. There is such a thing as a diesel grin.

What were we talking about again?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh I'll come up with something to contribute, just tired of the maintenance on the ICE's. Blazer died this year, now using the half ton as my daily driver while the car is in the shop. I live about 50 miles round trip from the nearest grocery store / bank etc. Makes for good planning. One trip a week to town is more than enough though I think the diesel gets better mileage than my car... Of course the torn flex-hose in the exhaust might have something to do with that.. That being said, because I live so far from town I'm just going to start with something small to make sure I build the know-how right. A ride-on mower if I can get one with a blown engine, a quad.. same deal.. just to start figuring things out with hands on experience rather than just reading about it. And with the land here on the farm the ride-on would see some use, heck I might actually be more punctual about the mowing if it could be quieter than it is with the current 25HP ICE. Did I mention that I hate all the jerry-cans around that all this gas / diesel powered equipment takes? I'm just looking for ideally a winter project that will keep me busy when I get snowed in this year, maybe something I can pick up the empties with on weekend mornings from all the folks who still literally drink and drive around here. Empties are cash! Oh, yeah sorry went off topic to the original thread, is there somewhere I should be posting my "about me" stuff? Edited to add : Forgot to mention; I've already got a line on an electric forklift that I'll use as the donor. Hopefully check it out this weekend. Edit 2: Just to add I looked at the original post again, and remembered what I intended to say. It's not just the diesel idle's. I'm a non-smoker, never have smoked never will. If someone chooses to well that's their choice, but why oh why do smokers have to cluster around entrances? I have to go through their stinking cloud every time... was real bad at school where the prevailing wind blew through the smoking area, straight to the front door of the school. Perfect time of year to see the wind habits right now with all the leaves that get piled up at the front door.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It is not only diesel trucks that they let idle for hours.

The idiots with gas engines do it while they are in the coffee shop for hours.

I tried to tell them that they werre hurting thier engine and transmissions (automatic), but they don't seem to care.

Fuel must be cheaper for them.

·
4,838 Posts
I know of a woman who arrives at the theatre around half an hour or more early, like me, but she sits in her car with the ICE running.

I've never figured out why but she has the window open, is smoking and has the radio on.:confused:

David, I do the rolling down hill in traffic with the ICE off too.:) Had to do that for nearly 2 hours for a mile yesterday evening due to a crash. My 40 minute commute to evening class took 2 1/2 hours because someone wanted to lay their truck down on the central reservation closing two lane on my side and one on the other side of the motorway.
Good thing I was planning to attend a meeting first so despite missing that I still got to class on time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts