DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Rare earth minerals embargo?

2574 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  JRP3
The Blog Wattsupwiththat had an abreviated version of this story so I looked for the original here on the New York Times website:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/business/global/20rare.html?_r=1&hp

Not sure what to make of it just yet but it's not encouraging either.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspect the intent here is to cause speculation and force the price higher.

I also agree that induction motors are likely a better solution in the long run due to simplicity, and durability.

· Registered
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah - smart on the part of the Chinese! ;)
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - don't underestimate the chinese!

Yes - unless you need maximum hp/weight, there is no real need to use permanent magnet motors. In fact the Tesla uses an induction motor - something about them being able to handle higher current?
I used to think that too. I also thought that BLDC motors have a wider efficiency range, but.....

At 70lbs I'm not aware of a BLDC motor with a higher power to weight ratio than the Roadster motor.
......now I'm not so sure anymore.

Besides, motor windings are more shock and temperature resistant than perminant magnets and could work better for wheel motors in the long term. Besides, they would be easier to service and rebuild if there weren't any super powerful magnets to eat all your steel tools! (or fingers:eek:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.