DIY Electric Car Forums banner

razor scooter

7668 Views 13 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  floydr
I have a razor scooter that I picket up at the dump for nothing, the batteries were bloated, and bad. Once I replaced the batteries, she ran like a champ. A couple of things, I can see the gearing, the way it is setup a small sprocket on the motor, and a larger one on the wheel. I want to see if I can get a little more torque from the motor. As it is right now, it kind of has a bit of slow going, and has poor accel. I would like to have better accel. but I do not need more top speed, also a better way to control the motor, as the current throttle only has on and off. I would also like to add front lights and reflectors, preferrably led's. I used 2-12v 9ah batteries, tied together to make 24vdc. the original setup was the same, except eh batteries were 7ah instead of 9. I will include a link here: for those who would like to see what kind of scooter it is. There is a strange wobble, looks as though the rear sprocket is bent, I can not make it wobble, and it only appears while the rear sprocket is rotating. I may have to remove it and straighten it. The chain is very thin, and almost frail ooking, not at all like a bike chain. the motor appears to run on 24vdc, with a very small consolidated controller, for both motor use and charging purposes. I bypassed the original 30A fuse between the primary and secondary batteries tying them together with an equal guage wire. The old fuse was no longer serviceable, but still had continuity. The throttle is located on the right hand bar, and rotates to the on and is spring loaded to the off position by default. The reason that more speed is not desireable, is because of the design in which it utilizes to steer. the steering is vertical onlyand has no wide horizontal control, and because of the low center of gravity and low wheel circumference the turning radius is rather poor "it is a kids scooter after all"

thanks,

Nintendo
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for those not in the know, I got the batteries from a lead acid supplier, for office UPS "uninterruptable power supplies" I thought for a couple dollars more a battery, I can get a little more from the scooter. ~ 12 hours total, if my math is right. If I drive the motor more, then I can get less battery life "sure 8 hours of fun on the battery is great" and some added power will be pretty nice I think.

· Registered
4,005 Posts
"it is a kids scooter after all"
How much do you weigh? I think those things are rated for around 120 lbs. With better batteries you can certainly get better performance, but pushing extra power through gears and other components not designed for it while supporting more weight than they were meant to carry could be a losing proposition. An e-scooter could be pretty fun but you may end up having to keep upgrading the weakest link until you've replaced the entire scooter.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much do you weigh? I think those things are rated for around 120 lbs. With better batteries you can certainly get better performance, but pushing extra power through gears and other components not designed for it while supporting more weight than they were meant to carry could be a losing proposition. An e-scooter could be pretty fun but you may end up having to keep upgrading the weakest link until you've replaced the entire scooter.
*shifyt eyes* It's for my daughter man! *shifty eyes*

· Registered
4,005 Posts
I don't know if you've seen these, but there have been several concept cars with segways or similar in the trunk. A practical use case would be to commute to a park and charge location, then take your "daughter's" scooter or a fold-up e-bike or something for the last few miles into work.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys I recently bought a 24v razor dune buggy go cart used. It is the red colored one. My daughter weighs like 30lbs and it has a hard time moving with her on it. We have another one the same and it rips right around our yard. I noticed when she hits the throttle the low light turns on. This is fully charged as I have charged it overnight. Any ideas what it could be? I’m assuming possibly bad batteries? I will check the voltage when I’m off over the weekend but would like to get an idea. Thanks

· Registered
414 Posts
I would replace them with lithium 7s battery pack, But that is because I have the 7s(25v) lithium batteries. check voltage each battery should be 13.5-14 volts if fully charged since they are sealed lead acid batteries not much else can be done at home to check them. maybe take the batteries to an auto parts store that offers free testing of batteries They should have more advanced testing equipment probably a load tester.
Later floyd

· Registered
4 Posts
I would replace them with lithium 7s battery pack, But that is because I have the 7s(25v) lithium batteries. check voltage each battery should be 13.5-14 volts if fully charged since they are sealed lead acid batteries not much else can be done at home to check them. maybe take the batteries to an auto parts store that offers free testing of batteries They should have more advanced testing equipment probably a load tester.
Later floyd
Where can I get these batteries at?

· Registered
414 Posts
Ebay, Amazon, many Auto parts stores will have the correct size. As the specs i saw online only said (2)12v sla batteries nothing more. the batteries will have a part no. and Ah. Make sure you get deep cycle batteries.
later floyd

· Registered
414 Posts
Make sure that the wiring is in good shape. to the motor/ motor controller. Could have a weak cell(s) once a load is placed on the battery the battery voltage drops below acceptable levels. Also could be a sign of the motor going bad. sound like voltage drop in one or both the 12v batteries. Take the batteries to a auto parts store with a battery tester most will test them for free. Just because the batteries have 24v with no load doesn't mean they are good. Try switching batteries with the other one you have see if that improves the speed.
later floyd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.