DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning stages of an RC Mower build. I currently already have a Flysky i6x remote with a 6ch receiver. A Sabertooth 2x60 dual motor driver. And 2x 24v wheelchair motors with hubs/wheels for the rear. I'm thinking of powering the drive motors with a single battery: Amazon.com: 720Wh 24V 30Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery, Rechargeable LiFePO4 Battery Pack, 3000+ Times Deep Cycle, for Charging Solar Water Pump, Solar Powered Fan, Solar Well Pump Battery: Home Audio & Theater

But now I'm having trouble figuring out what to do for the deck motor. I may need to redesign a bit, as in my render below I show a motor in the back directly driving the back blade and the shaft above the deck would have two belt pulleys, one belt for each of the two remaining blades. I'm certain that having 3 motors, one for each blade, would be ideal, however I want to build it as economically as possible.

I'm humbly requesting suggestions here. I was thinking perhaps a 210-ETEK that's 48v 100A but I haven't been able to source one (shows discontinued here: ETEK 48 Volt Electric Motor - 15 HP Electric Motor by Briggs & Stratton)

I definitely want to use Lithium, leaning towards LiFePO4. But need help figuring out the best batteries that would do the job @ 48v and able to provide 100a continues / 150a peak. Without spending thousands! :sneaky:

The remote control and demonstration: New video by Thomas Giboney

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention! When using a DC motor you generally need a motor controller to control speed... but in the case of the mower deck, I just need it to spin at a set speed. All I need control over is ON and OFF. What would I use in this case? Something cheaper I would think! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would definitely go with a smaller lower speed "cutter" motor and use a scissor action cut if possible. A lot more power Efficien.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I would definitely go with a smaller lower speed "cutter" motor and use a scissor action cut if possible. A lot more power Efficien.
Very intriguing suggestion. I'm not even sure how to accomplish a 'scissor cut' action.
I assume that "scissor action cut" refers to a reel mower. They're most commonly hand-pushed, but golf course greens keepers use powered reel mowers, especially for the critical putting greens. They're not suitable for rough mowing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts