DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: EV Information converting fleet

Hi,
I am a student intern and I am currently managing the transition of a small company's fleet from conventional cars to EV's. This is suppose to be a case study which (preferably) they will use in a future.

My question is: do you know what are the stages/steps in order to make the transition form conventional cars to Ev's? (checklist or explanatory steps to cover and take into consideration).

I have to present a plan and timeframe of my project I was thinking of first of all reading on policies and regulations and then compare my current company's sustainable mobility plan to other successful ones and see how they implemented 100% electric fleet.

Please give me some guidance as it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
6,117 Posts

Hi
I have moved your post to the correct forum

As far as your question is concerned the FIRST thing that you need to do is to get accurate records of how your current fleet of IC cars is being used
Mostly daily mileage

You will NEED that to check if EV's will meet your requirements

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi thanks for redirecting me.

Would you know any existing companies with successful implementations of electric vehicles fleet? It can be a small scale.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,788 Posts

Would you know any existing companies with successful implementations of electric vehicles fleet?
No, because converting fleets of vehicles as a business has proven to be an unworkable business model.

Why would you want to individually convert old vehicles, rather than buying new vehicles which are properly designed and built to be EVs?

This is not a criticism of DIY conversions, which are not intended to be profitable commercial ventures.

·
Administrator
6,117 Posts

Hi
By "converting to EV's I had assumed you meant replacing your existing cars with Leafs or some other commercially built EV

Which is becoming a very sensible and economic thing to do

But if you meant converting the existing IC cars to electric then I would agree with Brian - NOT a good idea!

·
Registered
4,788 Posts

I made the opposite assumption from Duncan, probably because this is a forum about do-it-yourself EVs (normally meaning conversion) rather than buying production EVs. Re-reading the original post, I have realized that Duncan's assumption is likely correct, and in that case it is a very different analysis, and much more likely to be successful.

Whether by conversion of existing cars, or by retirement of engine-driven cars and replacement with new electric cars, I suggest considering a partial conversion. As Duncan pointed out earlier the way the fleet is used is critical, and (depending on the fleet) it is entirely possible that conversion would make sense for part of the fleet, but not every vehicle.

If this is a case of retirement of existing cars and replacement with EVs, I'm not sure how this forum would be very helpful. Forums of production EV owners and of fleet managers would likely be more useful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I meant buying new EVs to replace old internal combustion engine cars owned by staff or for instance forklifts and other small transport cars working at the plant.

·
Administrator
6,117 Posts

So your FIRST job is to get usage records for all of the present vehicles - as much data as possible

Then make some rough "models" of using various different types of cars

Those will swiftly tell you what you need to know

·
Registered
727 Posts

I meant buying new EVs to replace old internal combustion engine cars owned by staff or for instance forklifts and other small transport cars working at the plant.

I once worked at a food processing plant that has a great electric forklift system that many plants have in place. They hot-swap the 1500lbs+ batteries on the forklifts for recharged ones at shift changes and lunch breaks. This, along with the minimal maintenance required, compared to ICE units, the electric forklifts have very little down time and were very economical to operate. Plus, no fumes and reduced noise.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts

Okay, so it's a retire-and-purchase exercise. In that case, perhaps the two most useful parts of the plan would be:
  1. a clear method to determine whether or not replacement with an EV is feasible and cost-effective (since it won't be in some cases), for specific vehicle applications, and
  2. a plan to take advantage of the grouping of EVs... such as an on-site charging station that works for all of them, fleet purchase deals, and common maintenance (if the company does its own maintenance - most don't).
I am assuming that total transition to EV is not feasible, and not even desirable. If you're including employee's personal vehicles, it's certainly not reasonable.

·
Registered
727 Posts

Initial cost control and depreciation deductions could probably be maximized with a purchase of new or existing equipment, depending on the purchase terms. Leasing might be the way to go if there is an anticipated improvement in newer models of the equipment and their cost in the near future. Leasing rather than owning the equipment could also limit some tax liabilities. Property taxes, for example.

EV tax incentives, their terms, and their deadlines, if they apply, should also be considered.

Having responsibility for the performance of new and/or novel equipment provided by another party such as the equipment seller or a maintenance contractor is probably the best way to go for your typical business purchaser.

Of course, for your DIYer where's the fun and excitement in that?!!

·
Registered
4,788 Posts

Phoenix Motor Cars provides a couple of specialized sorts of fleet vehicles.

Not a lot out there yet.
This is an example of vehicles which are designed with engines, sold by the manufacturer (Ford in this case) as "gliders" (without powertrain), upfitted with electric powertrains, and then sold as new EVs. There have been quite a few companies try this, and probably several surviving, so there is some choice in commercial EVs.

A few commercial vehicle manufacturers make EVs now, which are adapted by the vehicle manufacturer itself, or even actually designed as an EV. Workhorse, which until recently was entirely a manufacturer of engine-driven vehicles derived from old General Motors designs, now offers only electric vehicles. The E-100 is an adaptation of the old P-chassis step van, and the N-Gen was designed as a EV (and series hybrid)... and isn't in production yet. The E-100 page shows an economic benefit chart, which leads to the (relatively obvious) idea of getting material from EV manufacturers to build an economic plan.

In small passenger vehicles (cars) of course there is a better selection of well-designed vehicles, although the challenge is in designing a transition plan rather than finding a good EV.

And of course in equipment such as forklift trucks for indoor use, the world has already gone electric - long ago - so there may be no transition to make.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts