DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: [EVDL] GEO G-29 Curtis overheating?

Hey that seems to work, but my curtis controller gets
hot real fast.

There's no heat sink or fan on there.

But I'll start driving and then I start to hear the
controller whine, and I get no power.

Perhaps I need to get some cooler action?

In my truck the first time I ran the truck I had the
controller on the floor of the vehicle, and it didn't
get that hot.

--- Michael Barkley <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mike, I turn my field winding relay on with the
> car's
> keyswitch, the field stays on until I turn off the
> keyswitch. This way, I know the field is at full
> magnetic force before ever applying voltage to the
> armature. Try it like that, and you should get
> much
> better results. If your inclines are extreme, you
> might need to increase to 36vdc on the field, but in
> my particular case, 24vdc is enough torque to get
> over
> anything that I've come across so far.
>
> M.Barkley
>
>
>
> --- mike golub <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I connected the field to a 24 volt source, and I
> > have
> > pack of 72 volts. But the car takes off, fine, but
> > then I'll stop, and it won't go up an incline.
> >
> > Either I'm not exciting the field enough, or
> perhaps
> > the field shouldn't be turned off. I have
> connected
> > it
> > to a relay on the microswitch on the PB-6...so
> maybe
> > that should on the fan relay. That turns on with
> the
> > key switch.
> >
> > I'm also concerned about the curtis controller
> > getting
> > too hot...of course, that won't be a problem next
> > month.
> >
> > Mike
> > Fairbanks, Alaska
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > For subscription options, see
> > http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: [EVDL] GEO G-29 Curtis overheating?

Mike, I cool my controller by mounting as many
Pentium4 computer heatsinks and fans on the flat
surface of the controller that I could get on it. It
held 3 of them. I wired the fans to come on with the
keyswitch. I also took the high speed radiator fan
from the original I.C.E. days of the car, and have it
pulling in cool air & blowing that over the controller
and motor , which also turns on with the keyswitch.
I've also installed an inline bilge blower on the
motor, forcing cool air into the motor to help cool
it. All this stuff, fans, field pack, dc/dc converter
are controlled by the keyswitch through individual
bosh style 30amp relays. Check out the photos of all
this at: www.texomaev.com , under the Eclipse link.


--- mike golub <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey that seems to work, but my curtis controller
> gets
> hot real fast.
>
> There's no heat sink or fan on there.
>
> But I'll start driving and then I start to hear the
> controller whine, and I get no power.
>
> Perhaps I need to get some cooler action?
>
> In my truck the first time I ran the truck I had the
> controller on the floor of the vehicle, and it
> didn't
> get that hot.
>
> --- Michael Barkley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Mike, I turn my field winding relay on with the
> > car's
> > keyswitch, the field stays on until I turn off the
> > keyswitch. This way, I know the field is at full
> > magnetic force before ever applying voltage to the
> > armature. Try it like that, and you should get
> > much
> > better results. If your inclines are extreme, you
> > might need to increase to 36vdc on the field, but
> in
> > my particular case, 24vdc is enough torque to get
> > over
> > anything that I've come across so far.
> >
> > M.Barkley
> >
> >
> >
> >
--- mike golub <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I connected the field to a 24 volt source, and I
> > > have
> > > pack of 72 volts. But the car takes off, fine,
> but
> > > then I'll stop, and it won't go up an incline.
> > >
> > > Either I'm not exciting the field enough, or
> > perhaps
> > > the field shouldn't be turned off. I have
> > connected
> > > it
> > > to a relay on the microswitch on the PB-6...so
> > maybe
> > > that should on the fan relay. That turns on with
> > the
> > > key switch.
> > >
> > > I'm also concerned about the curtis controller
> > > getting
> > > too hot...of course, that won't be a problem
> next
> > > month.
> > >
> > > Mike
> > > Fairbanks, Alaska
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > For subscription options, see
> > > http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
> > >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > For subscription options, see
> > http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: [EVDL] GEO G-29 Curtis overheating?

On 17 Aug 2007 at 3:16, Michael Barkley wrote:

> [Three] Pentium4 computer heatsinks and fans on the flat
> surface of the controller ... the high speed radiator fan
> from the original I.C.E. days of the car ... an inline bilge blower on the
> motor ...

I hate to ask it, but doesn't that make the car awfully noisy?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
EVDL Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not
reach me. To send a private message, please obtain my
email address from the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: [EVDL] GEO G-29 Curtis overheating?

Are you sure that your field voltage (and thus field current) is not
too small? That would make the motor back voltage too small, especially
in slow speeds, and you would get correspondingly very large motor
current that would make Curtis overheat?

Can you try increasing the field voltage to see what happens?

Seppo

>
>> Hey that seems to work, but my curtis controller
>> gets
>> hot real fast.
>>
>> There's no heat sink or fan on there.
>>
>> But I'll start driving and then I start to hear the
>> controller whine, and I get no power.
>>
>> Perhaps I need to get some cooler action?
>>
>> In my truck the first time I ran the truck I had the
>> controller on the floor of the vehicle, and it
>> didn't
>> get that hot.
>>
>> --- Michael Barkley <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > Mike, I turn my field winding relay on with the
>> > car's
>> > keyswitch, the field stays on until I turn off the
>> > keyswitch. This way, I know the field is at full
>> > magnetic force before ever applying voltage to the
>> > armature. Try it like that, and you should get
>> > much
>> > better results. If your inclines are extreme, you
>> > might need to increase to 36vdc on the field, but
>> in
>> > my particular case, 24vdc is enough torque to get
>> > over
>> > anything that I've come across so far.
>> >
>> > M.Barkley
>> >
>> >

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: [EVDL] GEO G-29 Curtis overheating?

Not really, I'd rather hear the hum of cooling
airflow, than the smell of smoke from the electronics
frying - LOL

I can barely hear any of this inside the car, and most
say to me, when I "START" the car with the keyswitch
while they are standing beside the car; "Is that all
it does when you start it up?" Then I drive off into
the sunset.....

M.Barkley
www.texomaev.com


--- David Roden <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 17 Aug 2007 at 3:16, Michael Barkley wrote:
>
> > [Three] Pentium4 computer heatsinks and fans on
> the flat
> > surface of the controller ... the high speed
> radiator fan
> > from the original I.C.E. days of the car ... an
> inline bilge blower on the
> > motor ...
>
> I hate to ask it, but doesn't that make the car
> awfully noisy?
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator
>
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> = = =
> EVDL Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> = = =
> Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses
> will not
> reach me. To send a private message, please obtain
> my
> email address from the webpage
> http://www.evdl.org/help/ .
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> = = =
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top