1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: [EVDL] Hyperbole from "Infrastructure Industry"

Dennis Miles wrote:

> EVDL Members, Am I not correct? Isn't "J1772" mostly a scheme
> to generate billions from the Ignorant EV buying Sheeple?

No.

> If the driver/owner of a $250,000 RV Bus can plug in to
> [email protected], why can not you or I ???

They aren't typically plugging and unplugging multiple times a day, 365 days a year; the connectors on a public charging station will have to endure this sort of service. The inlet on a particular vehicle may not see quite this much use, perhaps plugging in once or twice per day, however, this is still much more use and wear and tear than most RV connectors.

That RV bus is unlikely to be plugging in indoors (inside a public or private garage), and is unlikely to contain many kWh of batteries that may require specific ventilation to avoid an explosion hazard.

> *Infrastructure, and Range Anxiety are both HYPERBOLE!***

No, they are real. People really do feel anxiety about whether or not they will be stranded in an EV because it has less range than the vehicles they are used to, and takes longer to refill and cannot be refilled at the places they are used to refilling. We may think these fears are unfounded or exaggerated, but they still exist.

> For every fuel retailer today there are about 9,000
> electric outlets suitable for recharging a car.

Infrastructure is not present. Yes, EVs can charge from common household outlets. Yes, there are often household outlets in public places. No, this does not constitute a public charging infrastructure.

The fact that Joe hobbiest can get permission to plug into the Coke machine outlet on the side of a service station for an opportunity charge works only while we hobbiests are few and far between.

> That is not even counting the hundred or so high-powered
> outlets near every Interstate Highway rural and suburban
> interchange, (In the RV Campground.)

How many 240V 50A outlets are there in the parking lot/garage of the mall you want to shop at? How many parking spots are equipped with such charge capabilities near the restaurant you want to go to dinner at? And so on. How many people do you expect will be willing to drive out of their way to sit in a spot at an RV campground for an hour or so on the way to or from that restaurant or mall?

You or I might be willing to, but our wives might not think as highly of the idea ;^>

Ultimately, this is a workaround to allow hobbiests to extend the useful range of their EVs, but isn't a realistic way to get mass adoption of EVs.

> Chevy has said that an adapter would be included with
> each "Leaf" to allow charging with 125 Volts home outlet.
> Why, then do I need a $3,000 outlet in my garage?

That's very nice of GM to provide charge adapters to Nissan customers ;^>

Seriously, it is true that GM will provide an "intelligent" adapter (an extension cord on a reel) that stores in the spare tire well of the Volt to allow plugging into an ordinary 15A 120V outlet to charge. This cord has a J1772 paddle on the car end and a NEMA 5-15 plug on the wall end, and a couple of status LEDs on the reel.

If you don't need to charge quickly at home, then you do not need anything more fancy/costly at home.

If you want to charge quickly at home, then you do need something more sophisticated than an ordinary outlet or you risk running afoul of NEC Article 625. J1772 is nothing more or less than a means of complying with Article 625, and with a J1772 inlet on your vehicle you have the ability to take advantage of any higher power public charging stations that may pop up in your area if/when you want to top up your pack relatively quickly even if you never use anything but the 120V adapter at home for overnight charging.

> Simple answer is I don't. And several Web companies are
> already selling adapters.

Got links?

I've heard talk on the list about people possibly making adapters, but so far I thought all that is actually for sale are connectors.

Cheers,

Roger.

| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

1 - 1 of 1 Posts