DIY Electric Car Forums banner

301 - 302 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Now your right I have batteries free from junk yard 10 1kwh egolf packs but would need another 10 to get the voltage up to what the leaf needs. What voltages do people run the 11/12 drivetrains at? Seems it needs a minium of 200vdc to be decent.
Each egolf module is about 15vdc so looks like 10 or 12 would be ideal, I'll need to get a few more it seems.
360 V (nominal) is ideal for the Leaf motor; that's 96S in typical lithium-ion chemistries and thus 24 large eGolf modules (which are 4S; there are also half-sized 2S modules in the eGolf). Even if 200 V nominal is "decent" that would be 53S or at least 13 large eGolf modules... not 10 or 12.

I mean...don't forget resale...and labor...

According to Thunderstruck, the Leaf inverter will run down to 140V.
That's presumably voltage into the controller, so if the minimum (not nominal) voltage per cell is 3.2V then 44S is the minimum configuration, or 11 eGolf modules.

Running and providing satisfactory power at the required speed are not the same thing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I wonder what the typical Leaf conversion voltage is? And what batteries are they using? Probably easiest to reuse the Leaf battery itself but stuffing it into a Mini could be difficult? I could spot weld together a 96s pack using 18650 cells.

301 - 302 of 302 Posts