DIY Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I also may have solved the "security dongle" mystery. In several places in the 2012 service manual (June 2014 Rev) it calls out the dongle as "For Canada." The diagram on page SEC-21 is an example. That might explain why I hadn't come across a likely candidate. Hopefully that's one less thing to worry about.

Rob

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Making progress, finally able to get into Drive and spin the motor!

Currently connected: Motor/transaxle, Inverter, DC Junction Box, Charger, Charge port, QC Port, Battery, LBC/BMS, Battery JB, Safety Disconnect, Park Motor/Controller, IPDM and fuse boxes, VCM, BCM, Shifter and Gear Display, ESC (Shift Controller), Main and Upper Combination Meters, AV Unit and cluster switches, Menu buttons, Start button, NATS receiver, Front Interior SKS receiver, interior I-Key antennas, int buzzer and speaker, Pedal box (accelerator, brake position sensor and brake switches), 12V accessory battery, Cooling system water pumps (electrical only), coolant temp sensor, heater (HV only), AC Compressor HV cable with interlock defeated.

Hookup requires all 4 primary low voltage wiring harnesses: Main, Body, Motor Room, Motor Control. Not included are door harnesses and room lamp harness. All HV harnesses are connected to complete interlock.

Omitted currently are steering wheel controls, EPS and steering spiral sensor, steering column combination switch, HVAC inc AC compressor and HV heater (control), coolant / heating plumbing, all brakes (IBU, ABS, wheel sensors, yaw sensor, parking brake controller and motor, brake backup power supply, pressure sensors), all airbag components and controller, all door switches, seat heaters and switches, speakers, Digital audio unit, battery heaters and relay/control, interior / exterior lighting, TCU, GPS and TCU antennas, radiator fans.

Current status: After start up, drive ready light blinks for several minutes then goes solid. Once solid, can shift to D/N/R and transaxle spins in creep, and responds to accelerator. No response from brake pedal, I believe due to IBU not connected. May test this soon. After powering down, requires resetting DTCs on VCM before it will go ready again. I don't see a specific DTC causing this, may just be VCM reboot? Charging would not initiate until water pumps were connected electrically. Now the first charge indicator blinks and charger says "charging" but power does not ramp up as observed on LeafSpy. Charger shuts down after a minute or two. Even with the water pumps connected they still show DTCs, so I suspect that they are smart enough to realize they don't have coolant and aren't running.

Current DTCs in "On" after clearing:
BCM:
U1000 CAN Com
U0415 Vehicle Speed (ABS)
B2557 Vehicle Speed (ABS / Comb Meter mismatch)
B2626 Outside 1 Antenna
B2627 Outside 2 Antenna
B2628 Outside 3 Antenna (door key sensors)
Charger: OK None
EV/HEV (VCM):
P3194 CAN Error (ABS)
P3195 CAN Error (IBU)
U1000 CAN Com
P31B9 CAN Error (Electronic Parking Brake)
P31EE AC Refrigerant Pressure Sensor
P31E8 Water Pump 1
P31EA Water Pump 2
P31B7 CAN Error (Airbag)
P31B8 CAN Error (TCU)
P1564 ASCD Switch (Steering Wheel Switch)
HVAC:
B2579 In-Vehicle Sensor
B2582 Intake Sensor
B278D Compressor Com
B2777 PTC Heater Com
B2790 Heat Pump Com
HV Battery: OK
IPDM: OK
Meter:
U1000 CAN Com
Motor Control: OK
MultiAV:
U1000 CAN Com
U1258 XM Antenna
U1244 GPS Antenna
U1266 TCU Com
Shift:
U1000 CAN Com

New DTCs after going "READY" and Drive
EV/HEV (VCM):
P31C8 On Board Charger System (Charge Relay (-) Stuck)
P31C9 On Board Charger System (Charge Relay (+) Stuck)

These last 2 DTCs may be what need to be cleared before it will go ready again after driving and power cycling. They also may be interfering with charging, though I don't remember seeing them during previous charge attempts. I'll have to try that and check again.

Rob

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well, no luck on the theory of the cooling system interfering with the charging. I finally remembered that I had pulled the water pump fuses previously to test in the car with the cooling system drained. It had still worked then without the water pumps as best I can tell from my notes, and putting them back in and reconnecting the radiator fan made no difference in the behavior though it did resolve the related DTCs.

I am seeing the P31C8/9 Normal Charge Relay DTCs after the charge terminates unsuccessfully, so its looking like that is probably the culprit. This was not an error I had seen when things were in the car, so something is different. Most likely a wiring or grounding problem, but could be an issue in the VCM or DCJB has popped up in the last few months.

Can't find a lot of discussion of the Normal Charge Relay in the service manual, but I gather it connects the DC output of the charger to the HV battery DC lines so that could certainly do it. I may have to break out my CAN sniffer and see if I can tell if the VCM is sending the proper requests for charge power etc. Alternatively I may have to open the DCJB and see if I can figure out why the Normal Charge Relays aren't engaging.

Hopefully will get some time to dig on that over the long weekend.

Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the updates, this is very good progress and I'm excited to see it work!

You've probably considered this, but just in case you haven't: CAN needs termination on either end of the line. If you remove the module with termination (like the parking brake controller on the Model S) you may need to add termination resistors to keep CAN communication clean.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Thanks Otmar, appreciate the encouragement.

Glad you mentioned the CAN terminations, that's something I've been meaning to go back and check. It looks like they are ok though.

CAR CAN Terminations:
VCM & BCM

EV CAN Terminations:
VCM & LBC

To verify I should check the DC resistance from CAN-H to CAN-L on one of the disconnected ports on each bus. Should read ~60 Ohms as I recall if both 120 Ohm terminations are well connected. Should also probably check CAN-H and CAN-L are high impedance to ground/power.

In general I think all of the CAN related DTCs are expected and explained by known missing components, but the presence of so many DTCs does make it hard to rule out problems. I may have to suck it up and pull the last few controllers from the Leaf (IBU, ABS, EPS, Parking Brake) and connect them to make sure the remaining CAN errors go away as expected. I had generally been keeping the brake and steering systems in place on the Leaf so i can roll the chassis around as needed.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I had noticed that the speedometer was not responding when the transaxle was turning, and was wondering if this was a symptom of a CAN issue. From further reading of the service manuals I can't find any mention of a speed signal related to motor rpms, only to the wheel speed sensors provided through the ABS controller. So it would appear that is "normal."

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Well, making progress eliminating things, but not getting charging working :(

Verified ~62 Ohms CAN H/L at the OBC. Also verified 12V Power and GNDs at the OBC. Pulled the cover on the DCJB. Verified connectivity from Control Signals from OBC to Normal Charge Relay + and -. Was able to manually operate both relays from the OBC connector by shorting each control to 12V. Also verified that unplugging one of the relay coil connectors results in a different DTC (B2827) from the OBC rather than the VCM. Lastly, verified that the Normal Charge Relays never close when charging starts.

So it appears that the OBC is never sending the signals to close the relays. It may be that the observed DTC is the VCMs way of saying I told the charger to start charging but it never closed the relays so nevermind.

Sounds like I'll have to get the CAN sniffer out at this point and try to see why the OBC is not deciding to close the relays and begin charging, but also not putting out any DTCs. Unless I get some other brainwave overnight.

Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wonder if it wants to see the parking brake engaged before it will allow charging?

Does the Leaf Spy show a pack isolation value? It's a long shot, and I expect it would have thrown a DTC, but it's just the sort of thing that can happen when moving parts.

Keep it up!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Leaf needs to be in Off for the charger to start charging. Charger is liquid cooled.
When I tested the charging on the peg board, radiator and coolant was in place. I didn't disconnect them and test charging.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I posted this over on the Leaf forum as well, but here is a summary of my first look at the CAN data.

When plugging in the charge cable (L1) the system appears to power up as expected, the EVSE light goes to charging, and the first charge indicator starts flashing. However, according to both LeafSpy and my Watt meter the charger never ramps up power, and after about a minute the system shuts down. The EVSE goes back to ready, no fault. The same two DTCs P31C8 and C9 must be cleared from the VCM before it will start charging again. I have manually operated both normal charge relays from the OBC connector by shorting the control pins to GND in "power on" mode. Monitoring the control voltages during charge startup the OBC does not appear to be attempting to close the relays. Its also important to note that the DTCs observed are VCM errors, not OBC errors. If I disconnect one of the normal charge relays coil connectors then I get a DTC from the OBC. Lastly I've verified that the OBC connectors appear to have 12V power and GND on all expected pins.

CAN Data: Raw CSV files are attached. I've had to split the dumps into 2 parts, one covering the beginning of a charge, and one covering the end, as my program can only handle 9999 messages and I didn't want to filter until I knew what to look for.

0.0s 1F2 [2] 00 (Ready?) [1] 64 (Min Chg Power Commanded?)
0.2s 1DB BVS=511
0.2s 1DC Max CHG CUR 11111111111 (maybe anomalous, byte 0=FF)
0.3s 1DB BVS=371 (measured 370V)
0.4s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 00010000, [1] (line voltage?) 00, [3] ([email protected]?) 00, [6] (Charge current?) 00
0.4s 1F2 [2] 20 (Charge?) [1] 64 (Min Chg Power Commanded?)
0.5s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 00011000, [1] (line voltage?) 00, [3] ([email protected]?) 00, [6] (Charge current?) 00
0.6s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01000000, [1] (line voltage?) 00, [3] ([email protected]?) 00, [6] (Charge current?) 00
0.8s 5BC GIDs=1022
0.9s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01000000, [1] (line voltage?) 00, [3] ([email protected]?) 67, [6] (Charge current?) 00
1.0s 1DC Max CHG CUR 00111111111 (maybe anomalous, byte 0=FF)
1.0s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01000000, [1] (line voltage?) 3C, [3] ([email protected]?) 6F, [6] (Charge current?) 00
1.1s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01000000, [1] (line voltage?) 95, [3] ([email protected]?) 6F, [6] (Charge current?) 00
1.5s 5BC GIDs=82 Consistent with LeafSPy and Voltage
1.7s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01001000, [1] (line voltage?) 97, [3] ([email protected]?) 6F, [6] (Charge current?) 00
2.0s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01001000, [1] (line voltage?) 96, [3] ([email protected]?) 70, [6] (Charge current?) 00
15.5s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01001000, [1] (line voltage?) 96, [3] ([email protected]?) 70, [6] (Charge current?) 00 END OF FIRST DUMP
15.6s 1F2 [2] 20 (Charge?) [1] 64 (Min Chg Power Commanded?)

0.0s 1DC Max CHG CUR 00000111101 (probably correct, byte 0=6E)
0.0s 1F2 [2] 20 (Charge?) [1] 64 (Min Chg Power Commanded?)
0.0s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01001000, [1] (line voltage?) 96, [3] ([email protected]?) 70, [6] (Charge current?) 00 Beginning Second Dump
3.5s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01010000, [1] (line voltage?) 96, [3] ([email protected]?) 70, [6] (Charge current?) 00
3.6s 1F2 [2] 60 (???) [1] 64 (Min Chg Power Commanded?)
3.6s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01110000, [1] (line voltage?) 96, [3] ([email protected]?) 70, [6] (Charge current?) 00
3.8s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01110000, [1] (line voltage?) 6C, [3] ([email protected]?) 70, [6] (Charge current?) 00
3.9s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01110000, [1] (line voltage?) 30, [3] ([email protected]?) 70, [6] (Charge current?) 00
4.0s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01110000, [1] (line voltage?) 00, [3] ([email protected]?) 70, [6] (Charge current?) 00
4.9s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01110000, [1] (line voltage?) 00, [3] ([email protected]?) 4B, [6] (Charge current?) 00
5.0s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 01110000, [1] (line voltage?) 00, [3] ([email protected]?) 00, [6] (Charge current?) 00
5.5s 1F2 [2] 00 (Ready?) [1] 64 (Min Chg Power Commanded?)
5.5s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 00110000, [1] (line voltage?) 00, [3] ([email protected]?) 00, [6] (Charge current?) 00
16.2s 5BF [2] (OBC Status?) 00110000, [1] (line voltage?) 00, [3] ([email protected]?) 00, [6] (Charge current?) 00 END OF SECOND DUMP

So it could be that the VCM is never instructing the OBC to ramp up based on constant 64 value in 1F2 Byte 1? Its also strange that the 5BF byte 3 value is 70, which if the equation for HV voltage at OBC in the spreadsheet is correct only translates to 322V. Not sure why their would be any HV there at all if the normal charge relays aren't closing, and why it would be so much lower than the reported (and measured) battery voltage. Unless perhaps that is the actual OBC min output voltage with no load or something. I guess that's all consistent with the DTCs being VCM related, but still not sure why the VCM isn't ramping up charge current. Will keep digging, this is my first time really looking at the CAN data.

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Well, the good news is I fixed the charging! The bad news is I'm an idiot ;)

Apparently I had reversed the connectors for the Heater and the Charger at the DCJB. Most of the connectors are unique, but it turns out those two are the same and I had only labeled them "DCJB."

The tip off was that I was measuring 370V DC inside the OBC where the HV lines come in, which should be impossible if the Normal Charge Relays are open, which I was pretty convinced they were.

Here's how it should look; the charger is connected to the plug on the side of the DCJB toward the bottom of picture, and the heater to the plug of the same size on the back of the DCJB:

Now charging at 1.5kW on L1 for about 10 minutes, no new DTCs, everything seems to be working just fine. Temperatures inside the OBC seem to be 120-140F, so I'm not going to run too long without cooling. But very relieved to have it working again :)

Rob

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Also verified that it now goes ready in just a second or two, rather than the minute or so noted in the video. It is also no longer necessary to clear VCM DTCs after each power down. It will now power on to ready, go to drive, back to park, power down, and power back up to ready or to start charging as normal with no DTC reset. The normal charge relay control lines in the OBC now read ~0.35V when charging as they should (spec is <1V) rather than 13V seen previously.

Rob

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Posted a 3rd video, looking at what's likely the minimum set of components required to re-use a Leaf drive system without getting into spoofing controllers. Also demonstrate proper charging now that its all sorted out.

Currently connected: Motor/transaxle, Inverter, DC Junction Box, Charger, Charge port, QC Port, Battery, LBC/BMS, Battery JB, Safety Disconnect, Park Motor/Controller, IPDM and fuse boxes, VCM, BCM, Shifter and Gear Display (display likely not required), ESC (Shift Controller), Main Combination Meter, Start button, NATS receiver, interior I-Key antennas (should not be required, using NATs), Pedal box (accelerator, brake position sensor and brake switches), 12V accessory battery, AC Compressor and Heater HV cables with interlock defeated.

Hookup requires all 4 primary low voltage wiring harnesses: Main, Body, Motor Room, Motor Control. Not included are door harnesses and room lamp harness. All HV harnesses are connected to complete interlock.

Omitted currently are steering wheel controls, EPS and steering spiral sensor, steering column combination switch, HVAC inc AC compressor and HV heater (control), Refrigerant pressure sensor, coolant / heating plumbing, all brakes (IBU, ABS, wheel sensors, yaw sensor, parking brake controller, switch and motor, brake backup power supply, pressure sensors), all airbag components and controller, all door switches, seat heaters and switches, speakers, Digital audio (VSP) unit and internal speaker,, battery heaters and relay/control, interior / exterior lighting, TCU, GPS and TCU antennas, radiator fans, water pumps, coolant sensor, AV Unit, AV Cluster / AC Amplifier, Upper Combination Meter, Combination Meter Switches, SKS receiver, immediate charge switch, HL leveling switch, all seat other and center console switches/sensors/connectors.

Current status: After start up, drive ready light blinks for several seconds then goes solid. Once solid, can shift to D/N/R and transaxle spins in creep, and responds to accelerator. No response from brake pedal, I believe due to IBU not connected. May test this soon. Charging at L1 is now working fine. Will cycle power / ready / charge as normal with no need to reset DTCs now.

Current DTCs:
BCM:
U1000 CAN Com
U0415 Vehicle Speed (ABS)
B2557 Vehicle Speed (ABS / Comb Meter mismatch)
B2626 Outside 1 Antenna
B2627 Outside 2 Antenna
B2628 Outside 3 Antenna (door key sensors)
Charger: OK None
EV/HEV (VCM):
P31B3 CAN Error (AC Auto Amp)
P3194 CAN Error (ABS)
P3195 CAN Error (IBU)
U1000 CAN Com
P31B9 CAN Error (Electronic Parking Brake)
P31EE AC Refrigerant Pressure Sensor
P31E8 Water Pump 1
P31EA Water Pump 2
HV Battery: OK
IPDM: OK
Meter:
U1000 CAN Com
Motor Control: OK
Shift:
U1000 CAN Com

Dash shows I-Key error (due to missing door sensors I believe) and T/M System Malfunction (likely multiple causes, probably IBU/ABS mainly) as well as warning lights for PS (power steering not connected), BRAKE (parking brake not connected), traction control/VDC (ABS not connected), ABS, Brakes warning (IBU/pressure sensor), airbag (not connected), EV System warning, headlight warning (not connected)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
As I start tearing down the tabletop demo, I'm trying to document some of the dimensions and weights of the main components.

Here are a few to start.

Inverter (dry, as pictured): Weight 35.6 lbs, Max Extent 18.5" x 12.5" x 7.75"

OBC / Charger (dry, as pictured): Weight 35.6 lbs, Max Extent 25.25" x 10.75" x 11.75"

LBC / BMS: Weight (as pictured) <2.2lbs (scale threshold), Max extent (without bracket) 10" x 5.5" x 1.25"

Pedal Box (as pictured): Weight 5.8 lbs, Max Extent 14" x 7.75" x 8.5"

Rob

·
Registered
138 Posts
Inverter (dry, as pictured): Weight 35.6 lbs, Max Extent 18.5" x 12.5" x 7.75"
OBC / Charger (dry, as pictured): Weight 35.6 lbs, Max Extent 25.25" x 10.75" x 11.75"
Charger weighs same as inverter?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Charger weighs same as inverter?
Yeah, I did a double take on that too and re-checked it. Seems to be the case. Scale may be a bit coarse down in this range, its a cheap 550lb capacity bathroom scale that I picked up for checking vehicle wheel weights.

Rob

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
A few more:

DC/DC J/B (dry): Weight 33.2 Lbs, Max Extent 22.25" x 15.5" x 6.75"

Charge Port (as pictured): Weight 9.8 lbs, Max Extent 22.5" x 12" x 12"

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's interesting to see the differences between your model year and the 2015 Leaf. The black spring return is on the inside of the pedal box on mine while yours is outside. The shape of the inverter, DC-DC ( combined with the charger becoming the Power Distribution Module on mine), and the motor which you didn't show in this group of pictures. The charge port looks similar but mine doesn't have quick connectors.

Bill

61 - 80 of 295 Posts