DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kingdom for a something like a Ford 8/8.8/9 rear axle with an integrated electric motor...It would help with so many RWD conversions. Alas, nobody's doing this, but I stumbled on this link which shows some progress for heavy trucks:

At least I know I'm only somewhat hairbrained in this concept.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
You can wander through the Dana Electrified e-Axle range, but they're really not targeting light duty road vehicles - off-highway industrial vehicles and medium-duty to heavy-duty on-highway trucks and buses are more typical.

One reason that there are few options of this type (an electrically powered beam axle) in this weight range is that consumer electric trucks and heavy SUVs are going to fully independent suspension at the same time as going electric.

The thing that is disappointing about most of these is that they use a single motor and a differential. Especially in larger sizes, it is more functional and quite practical to use two independent motors; the ZF AxTrak AVE system has two motors (although it has them to allow an inverted portal design for a low-floor bus), and so does one of the e-drive axles from BYD (the Chinese maker of battery-electric buses and trucks).

If it ever actually goes into production, the Tesla Semi is expected to have (and had in the PR prototype) beam axles with independent left and right motors from the Model 3 on each axle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can wander through the Dana Electrified e-Axle range, but they're really not targeting light duty road vehicles - off-highway industrial vehicles and medium-duty to heavy-duty on-highway trucks and buses are more typical.

One reason that there are few options of this type (an electrically powered beam axle) in this weight range is that consumer electric trucks and heavy SUVs are going to fully independent suspension at the same time as going electric.

The thing that is disappointing about most of these is that they use a single motor and a differential. Especially in larger sizes, it is more functional and quite practical to use two independent motors; the ZF AxTrak AVE system has two motors (although it has them to allow an inverted portal design for a low-floor bus), and so does one of the e-drive axles from BYD (the Chinese maker of battery-electric buses and trucks).

If it ever actually goes into production, the Tesla Semi is expected to have (and had in the PR prototype) beam axles with independent left and right motors from the Model 3 on each axle.
If I'm not mistaking, both Rivian and Lordstown Motor's consumer trucks will be using independent motors. Obviously not a DIY-ready solution yet, but it seems to be catching on. One thing to consider is the cost and weight of multiple motors vs. one motor and a differential.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
If I'm not mistaking, both Rivian and Lordstown Motor's consumer trucks will be using independent motors. Obviously not a DIY-ready solution yet, but it seems to be catching on. One thing to consider is the cost and weight of multiple motors vs. one motor and a differential.
Yes, among the coming or proposed light trucks, Rivan is showing a motor and gearbox unit per wheel, and Lordstown is showing hub motors (which is how we know the Lordstown truck won't actually be built). In the GMC Hummer EV, the rear has separate motors per wheel and the front has a single motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts