DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Ryan. I recently purchased a 2015 Nissan Leaf. I've wanted one for a long time and I love it! I've been a performance ICE hobbyist for about 25 years. The EV bug has now bitten me and I'm researching converting my 1995 Nissan 240sx to electric. This is a "toy" car, so I'm in no rush to get anything done with it, as turning wrenches on it is what I do for fun. I'm pretty settled on AC, and I want something capable of 150kW peak. I'm on the fence about keeping the transmission, as the diff in this car has gear ratio's over 5:1 available (currently has 4.36:1). Performance is my top priority. This isn't a race car by any means, but it needs to perform about as well as it does now. It's currently making over 400rwhp with a 1.8L turbo. While it's a blast to drive, the power delivery is.... non-linear, LOL! And if I'm completely honest, once it's making peak power, I'm traction limited in anything but 4th and 5th gears, so all that power isn't even really that useful. That being said, it seems like every time I get out of the Leaf and into the 240, I'm wishing I had the Leaf's response and low end power, but still have the performance I enjoy. I'm well aware of the concept of "area under the curve", so I'm very comfortable in making less power than I do now, but I don't think I'll be happy with less than around 200whp/150kw.

Budget isn't a huge concern, as this is something that I'll be fiddling with here and there over the course of a few years. That being said, I don't want to spend $50K on it either. I'm not too concerned about range either. I think building a battery pack big enough to meet my power requirements will yield me plenty of range. I'm still on the fence on exactly what batteries I'd use. I'm leaning towards the CALB CAM series, but I'm open to suggestions.

I would love input on motor and controller selection. So far, I've been looking closely at the Siemens 1PV5138 motors and Leaf motors, but again, I'm open to suggestions. I'm not sure on controllers at all. I'm not sure what controller will run the Siemens (Scott? Cascadia?), and for a high power Leaf motor, it looks like DIY is the only real route. I'm not opposed to the DIY route, but I'm apprehensive when it comes to the coding side of things. Beyond an entry level course in C++ in HS (that was 20+ years ago) I have no other programming knowledge and I have little to no knowledge about CAN. That being said, I'm not afraid to learn either!

Anyway, I'm happy to finally be posting here and would love to hear everyone's input.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts