DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I found this forum and I find it amazing, the best information about the topic is to be found here!

That´s why I would like to ask to the forum, what is the process and the steps that must be done to register a converted Electric car.

We plan to import a Land Rover Defender from Argentina and have it converted here in the states.

Once converted what must be done to circulate on the street as with a normal car?
Can it be insured?
IS it necessary to undergo certifications//tests?

Any required info is appreciated!
Thanks
Juan

·
Registered
Electric Sprint Kart
66 Posts
The LR is 25 years old or more right? If not, you won't be able to register it for normal road use.

Otherwise registration depends on the state. My state has no inspection, so all they look at is the VIN, insurance, and take the tax money. Here I personally wouldn't even mention a conversion, it would only confuse them.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
143 Posts
You have to look up state laws regarding conversions. Some states don't have any mention of it and/or do not do emissions testing but my state, Colorado, for instance does have a program where if you convert a vehicle to EV they will inspect it and then mark that VIN in the system as an EV and declare it exempt from emissions testing (and also collect more tax because EVs don't pay gas tax :( )

Either way if the vehicle is not 25 years old you cannot import it for road use period.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I highly recommend contacting the DMV and have it registered as a converted electric vehicle, which will then allow you to have it properly insured. If not, the insurance company will NOT pay out if you have an accident. Hagerty insurance, for example, will insure converted vehicles, but they will need to inspect to confirm that the job was done in a “workmanlike manner”.
California was quite simple. I contacted the DMV, which then connected me with the Bureau of Automotive Repair for inspection. Now, I am smog exempt and I just submitted my application for a clean air vehicle sticker. By doing so, I can drive in most carpool lanes without a passenger.
Hi! I found this forum and I find it amazing, the best information about the topic is to be found here!

That´s why I would like to ask to the forum, what is the process and the steps that must be done to register a converted Electric car.

We plan to import a Land Rover Defender from Argentina and have it converted here in the states.

Once converted what must be done to circulate on the street as with a normal car?
Can it be insured?
IS it necessary to undergo certifications//tests?

Any required info is appreciated!
Thanks
Juan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts