DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after alot of research, I've had to change my choice of doner vehicle for my conversion project. It was going to be an electric Jeep Grand Cherokee. The calculations for both rolling resistance & wind resistance (especially wind resistance), show that it'll be such a kW guzzler. It might get 45 minutes to an hour from a 50Kwh battery pack, doing 65mph.
I've decided to use a second gen Dodge Intrepid instead. It's 2WD, about 600 lbs lighter and has a coefficient of drag of 0.28.
However, like many modern FWD vehicles, it has a trans-axle. I don't need the gearbox as its going to be a direct drive, but I still need a front differential.
I intend to use a Jeep or Ford front diff. Can anyone who knows how, give us the skinny on replacing a stock front diff? I'll probably need to customise the half shafts too.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
For an example of a final drive plus motor mounted for front wheel drive, you could look at this conversion: Scion xB EV conversion
It uses the final drive ("diff") from the rear of a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, so the input shaft faces forward; using the front final drive from a traditional 4X4 would have the input shaft facing rearward. Either can work.

That thread includes a link to the conversion as shown in this forum's Garage, which is no longer functional; however, an archived version is available:
web.archive.org/web/20170607054043/https://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/459

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For an example of a final drive plus motor mounted for front wheel drive, you could look at this conversion: Scion xB EV conversion
It uses the final drive ("diff") from the rear of a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, so the input shaft faces forward; using the front final drive from a traditional 4X4 would have the input shaft facing rearward. Either can work.

That thread includes a link to the conversion as shown in this forum's Garage, which is no longer functional; however, an archived version is available:
web.archive.org/web/20170607054043/https://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/459
Brilliant!
I'll have a look at those links.
Thanks Brian!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts