DIY Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am 99% sure that my charger is CAN enabled.

When I first ordered it, eight years ago, I was very new and green to the field… As I recall, somebody told me to “order all the bells and whistles.” Maybe Michael Bream. He is who I ordered it from. He and I are fairly close. But these days he’s swamped… Two years out for just about anything.

I’m going to meet with Trent, his chief engineer, on Wednesday. Maybe he can help me figure it out.

To be honest, electronic stuff like this is still very much my weak point.

If it IS CAN-enabled, then what do I need to program it?

The PFC4000 is an excellent low cost solution to high voltage, high amperage charging. Being one of the more versatile chargers by being able to accept both 110v and 220v, the PFC4000 packs a punch. At 220 volts, the charger delivers 4kW of power, but throttles back to 1.5kW of power when hooked up to 110 volts, thereby allowing it to charge from a normal 15a household circuit. These chargers are voltage specific, so we have to program the charge curves before delivery.

According to EVWest web page these are not can controlled.

The PFC4000 units are only available by special order with a 6-8 week lead time.

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=12&products_id=232&osCsid=2aeerdi1rdhm5gsmqtpsp7cm85

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Link to user's manual:

PFC3000.pdf

CAN buss control:
If your Elcon PFC charger has been programmed for CAN Bus control and you received a CAN Bus adapter with your charger, pin 1 of the adapter must be connected to CAN-Lo from your BMS and pin 2 to CAN-Hi. If your BMS does not already have a 120 ohm termination resistor across CAN-Lo and CAN-Hi, you will need to add one.

The charger expects to receive every second a message from the BMS with CAN ID 1806E5F4 and 8-byte data with the voltage and current requested. If the charger doesn't receive a valid CAN message in 5 seconds, it stops charging until it receives a valid CAN message. The charger sends out every second a CAN status message with voltage, current and status information.

Up to 4 chargers with different CAN IDs 1806E5F4, 1806E7F4, 1806E8F4 and 1806E9F4 can be connected to the same CAN bus and be controlled by one BMS.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It is not a CAN model and it can definitely be reprogrammed.

There should be another label like the one I showed with the current algorithm that is programmed into the unit.

What do you want to do?
Hi, PDove,

I’d like to send one of the 3000’s to you for reprogramming… please let me know when you’ve moved and you’re all set up to do it.

If that works out, maybe I’ll try to sell the rest.

As I said, I got them super cheap from Triac when they went belly up. I don’t have a label showing the algorithm… what I sent you in the photos is all the info I’ve got on them. But the Triac had the blue Calb 160Ah cells in them… So I would think they were set up for LiFe cells.

Thanks,
Clipper

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sorry about the long wait. I had to go out of town for work, now my father dies and I have to go out of state to the funeral. I did have time to hook up the charger and take some data. It turned on an started charging when I put voltage on the enable pin so it is not a CAN controlled version. I can sniff the code out of it but I had some hardware issues. It's a tricky process since I have to inject some code which overwrites what is there so I loose that portion of the program. I have enough images that I can reconstruct what was lost but there is really no need unless you want to know what's currently in the charger. They have 10 profiles built in but I can't know what they are unless I sniff out the code. I can program them for CAN Control or change the ten profiles if you want to stay with enable function.

So to enable the charger you connect pin 3 to pin one on the front round connector. With a CAN controlled device you hook up a processor of some type that sends a command with voltage and current. These chargers don't have CAN hardware in them so if using a real CAN device to communicate you need their CAN adapter that is external. CAN Bus problems....

Let me know if you have questions. I will be back by Monday the 12th. Should only take a few days after that to complete.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts