DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Engineering is much more than technical, Brian. It includes working within constraints to solve the problem and complete the project. Much of that is economics...that's what births seemingly dumb things like bent sheet metal contacting a large chiller plate in LG-based vehicles.

What you've taken several contrarian-sounding posts to say here is...."it needs to be engineered" - or there's no electric bus conversion completed. Technical solutions are easy.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I seriously doubt any insurance company would cover a DIY conversion for use as a taxi.

Again - a DIY bus conversion is not "engineering" and, in most countries, practicing engineering where public safety design is being decided/approved without a license to do so will get you fines and a jail sentence. Even in Canuckistan.

A public bus has to be competently engineered in every sense of the word. SE Asia has enough highway carnage from buses without sprinkling in cowboy design mods.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I'd keep the transmission for both up and downhill purposes as it can give you greater speed in the flats and lets you use a smaller motor.

Remember that you have ZERO "engine braking" down"hill" with a fully charged battery, so you might consider using some huge resistors (possibly boil water with them) to dump the energy into (Toronto's street cars did this in winter & heated the passenger compartment) brake fade (they call it "failure" when it's the driver going too fast downhill riding the friction brakes) downhill has killed a lot of bus passengers in SE Asia.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Maybe "I didn't realize that I wasn't allowed to do this" is the best attitude.
That won't keep you out of fines and a prison sentence. Pretty standard to use your suggested reckless defense in the courts, Brian, which just pisses the judge off because you easily could have had a PE sign off on some safety design aspect (like sufficient braking down mountain grades).

When it's a public transportation vehicle, you can do the heavy lifting, but a PE still has to sign off on the work.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Yeah man, the life cycle cost is very high for now, so i’m trying to adjust this.
What battery type should i uses? LFP or NMC battery? What’s the pro’s & con’s?
Some of the electric school buses here used liquid sodium batteries.

There's a warmup time to use them - not sure SE Asians would have the patience 😂

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I wasn't going to spend a lot of time looking for it, so the forum got the first hit.

There were a bunch sold off at a government auction about a year or two ago - yes, full size, with sodium-sulfur batteries.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.