DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new here in DIY electric car.

I have some research to retrofit some abandoned bus,
can you all here give me suggest what motor should use?

here some ICE-spec from old bus:
Rectangle Font Pink Magenta Parallel

and is it worthy to use old transmission? or should use special transmission for EV AMT-gearbox 4 speed like from Eaton?
Font Machine Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Or should use direct drive motor configuration, with high continuous torque Motor?
Font Audio equipment Lamp Light bulb Fashion accessory

Please give me feedback.
Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, and that is true of any conversion; being large or a bus doesn't change that. Requirements for commercial licensing and business profitability would be significant, just as they would be for someone wanting to convert their car and use it in a place with stringent licensing requirements or use it as a taxi. DIY converters make economically-driven decisions which compromise the safety and performance of their conversions every day.
Thanks Brian and Remy for the feedback. Yes i’m just finished the engineering calculation, it’s seems crazy right for the capital expenditure for retrofitting this bus?
But the cost is lower than you bought a new one.

Anyway in Indonesia, there is a lot of abondoned bus which can be retrofitting. I’m not alone to retrofit this bus, we have the team. But i’m just sharing and find some breakthrough idea.

Actually i’m wondering, what the pro’s & con’s if we use:
direct drive motor that connect directly to propeller shaft vs smaller motor that use old transmission + old clutch?
Because here in Indonesia, the bus must conquer the inclination up to 20%

Maybe about the legality, it will discuss and proposed on other time, but ASAP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You will need recharging stations every 50km

unless you fill the bus with $200K USD worth of batteries that need replacing every few years
Yeah man, the life cycle cost is very high for now, so i’m trying to adjust this.
What battery type should i uses? LFP or NMC battery? What’s the pro’s & con’s?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.