DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all!! i know that most of you are from US,

as far as it looks, register a ev conversion in US is pretty simple..

in EU for sure is not simple neither cheap.

in my country is simply impossible (italy) there is some idiotic regulamentation to make it very easy... but it's absolutely quite the opposite.

i thought make the car bring it to uk register than importing back to italy would be the best to do it... but.. can't be done because my country wont accept it (a friend of mine tried for 2 years), uk will also be out of europe in March so no good anyway.

there is any other country in EU where i can bring my car to get a legal road registration? thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much sir for your input.

Croatia is near.. I always struggle with the most of the EU country for the language barrier... But is good to know and I will look into it indepth

·
Registered
248 Posts
There is a reason they called it the E-U(nion) meaning all members have to apply to the same rules. So it makes no difference getting it registered in a somewhat doggy member state and then trying to reregister it in one of the others. It wont work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a reason they called it the E-U(nion) meaning all members have to apply to the same rules. So it makes no difference getting it registered in a somewhat doggy member state and then trying to reregister it in one of the others. It wont work.

this means that my country which is in the eu doesn't apply at eu rules,
because in italy i cant build diy ev conversion than register the car as road legal.

at least the mutual recognition should work... but with Uk i have proof that doent' work...

i would like just to know why

in many other country this can be done! why not in mine! this is crazy!

this is totally unfair.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They probably use some local/national approval which is not according EU regulations. So it could work locally but other memberstates dont have to allow it at all. Unless it is an EU-wide approval which a DIY modification never is.

UK has what is called SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) which is a specific UK national thing and not according EU rules.
So other member states like NL, DE, BE, FR dont allow these vehicles and they dont have to.
The only option is to find out if your country hase something similar national signle vehicle approval but then again you still have to apply to ECE100 rules etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly... And this basically mean that can't be done......i mean in real life..
I'm talking about doubling the cost of actually build the car with taxes and tests and other fees

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I manage to reach somebody in my country for this topic.. Monday we will give me some price for the burocratic part. I will let you know in case other people will ask the same question

·
Registered
297 Posts
I manage to reach somebody in my country for this topic.. Monday we will give me some price for the burocratic part. I will let you know in case other people will ask the same question
Hi, it is easier to find countries which not allow a conversion.
The problem is however that local authorities are not familiar with the process and they prefer to say no instead of reading through the rules. The other problem is that they have to have an inspection like TUV in Germany which can make the necessary tests for approval (if required).
Here is a video from Germany which documents the process very well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnoH_QdXSyo

This thread tackles also the question
https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...i-90330p2.html

and in it are some links which are out of date but you can find the regulations on the internet.

Look especially at
ISO 6469 (General safety for EV)
ISO 7637 (12-24 V system),
ISO 11451 (Part1-4) Immunity of passenger cars and commercial vehicles to electrical disturbances
ISO 11452 Measuring and testing of 11451 , very important (http://www.ets-lindgren.com/pdf/Auto...EMCTesting.pdf)
ISO 14572 (Shielding of cables at different voltages)
ISO 16750 (Part1-2) Effects on environment

Concentrate on the emission part, the immunity is more relevant for certified EV OEM-products
(the immunity of existing 12v system must though be maintained)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts