DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which in Sweden translates to having regular brake problems due to oxide, thanks to that they salt the roads winter time. Cars with automatic gear boxes tend to have less problems since you use the brakes more than if you drive a stick...

Sooooo, regen might have more consequences than you first think depending on where you live. :D
I live 3 miles from a salt mine :D I've had many vehicles, both auto and manual and noticed no difference in brake life. With all the hills around here even with regen you use your brakes a lot. I also refuse to drive my EV when there is salt on the road, I put too much time into it to watch it dissolve :eek: I've almost always owned a sacrificial ICE for the winter anyway.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Re: Soliton Juniors first scream!

I also refuse to drive my EV when there is salt on the road, I put too much time into it to watch it dissolve :eek: I've almost always owned a sacrificial ICE for the winter anyway.
Hm. Perhaps I should do the same. One of the major obstacles I see is making it winter proof, by simply not driving in during the winter I of course don't have to insulate battery boxes, add battery heating etc. KISS, and all that. I probably still want heating in the passenger compartment though since otherwise the EV-season will be mere 2-3 months or so, might be hard to get my money back again then. :D

Hmmm. This opens for entirely different choices of cars. Perhaps a Chrysler LeBaron... :cool:

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Don't forget the baby powder when you guys put the pampers on those cute little EVs! :p The Inhaler ain't-afraid-a-no-salt, and just to prove it I'll take it to Bonneville someday and coat it from head-to-toe in the stuff! :cool:
At least you have the luxury of using a better level of paint protection than the thin coat from the factory. If I did a ground up build I'd probably coat everything under the car with a layer of 2 part epoxy bed liner. Don't think I'd use powder coat as I've seen parts rust out underneath the powder coat which still looked intact.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

One of the major obstacles I see is making it winter proof, by simply not driving in during the winter I of course don't have to insulate battery boxes, add battery heating etc. KISS, and all that.
You got it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

I win! (I need to get cracking and get my 2010 pics posted!) Many vehicles go to the Salt Flats every year for decades without a problem, I coat the underside and thoroughly rinse the bottom with a lawn sprinkler after the event.

http://explodingdinosaurs.com/9electric/2009saltflats

Don't forget the baby powder when you guys put the pampers on those cute little EVs! :p The Inhaler ain't-afraid-a-no-salt, and just to prove it I'll take it to Bonneville someday and coat it from head-to-toe in the stuff! :cool:

Just kidding guys! ;) Don't get your panies in a bunch! :p:D

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

I think it is more a function of water than salt. They salt the roads here, but usually in a day or 2 the roads are dry again. The only car I had here that had a rust problem was an old Japanese truck, the rest have been great (including a Fiero).
I've spent too much of my automotive life dealing with salt induced rust, that picture makes me cringe! :eek: I even have rust issues in my Fiero and my Corvette :eek:

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

I think it is more a function of water than salt. They salt the roads here, but usually in a day or 2 the roads are dry again. The only car I had here that had a rust problem was an old Japanese truck, the rest have been great (including a Fiero).
Yep, or rather the combination of salt + water. That's what we drive through at least some days every winter; salt slush. It gets in everywhere and eats all the metal not protected in any way. For example, if you don't do a few serious brakes every now and then the salt slush will build up on your brakes and start to eat up your brake disks, especially the rear ones.

That's one of those obstacles I'll have to cover the day I start to convert a car. Not driving in the winter is one way of solving it, but that cuts the EV-driving season down with a few months (or at least several weeks) so that is probably not completely realistic. So I need to insulate and heat the batteries and probably seal the motor too since it sounds like a seriusly bad idea to pack the motor full with salt slush...

And this is seriously off topic for this thread. Perhaps I should ask an administrator to fork off this discussion... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts

You got it.
I'm torn on this. I leave hear JRP3, but our climates are worlds apart (Syracuse is the snowiest city in the USA). Not driving in the winter would cut my EV driving season down to about 7 months. It also undermines the economic argument for building an EV (if I cut my driving season down to 7/12, it takes me 12/7 as long to have the EV pay off).

All that said, I'm going to struggle to actually drive the Porsche in the snow. It's going to be too darned pretty for snow!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes you get a lot more snow but they dump salt around here if there is threat of a frost :eek: Much of the time the roads are white from salt, not snow, it's rather ridiculous. I think there is some sort of deal between the town and the salt mine to use a certain amount of product each year :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
That's how it is in Columbus too - heavy salt usage - but it's flat and fairly windy here so we get a lot of black ice. They spray a brine solution on the dry roads, before the rain, ice, and snow arrive. When they don't get ahead of the precipitation, there are cars off the road and accidents everywhere. We're generally glad to see that milky white asphalt.

·
Registered
158 Posts

I've spent too much of my automotive life dealing with salt induced rust, that picture makes me cringe! :eek: I even have rust issues in my Fiero and my Corvette :eek:
I own a 1974 Dodge Charger, that spent over 30 years in Michigan, USA. I think that its still drivable is impressive.

I hate rust, but i cant avoid it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts