DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably over my head this and need to know if my plan will work. I have a 3500lb tube buggy with one ton axles, and 42 inch tall sticky trepador tires. Has supercharged v6 right now but a conversion kit will be here Monday or Tuesday. Warp9 curtis 1231 144v 500amp, zivan ng3, dc/DC inverter. Is this going to be enough to power my buggy with 12v agm batteries maybe 90ah. For gearing 4.10 axle 4:1 transfer case t4 manual transmission with 4:1 1st gear 1:1 4th. Always trailer it but have to slow crawler ledges and do some wot hill killing.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Everything except the floodies is fine. Go find salvage battery system of your choice about 300 -600 volts, maybe a whole wrecked car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could I still use the curtis controller andzegna ng3 charger with a OEM lithium pack? I'm just getting started with this conversion. Started pulling the ice stuff out and pick up the warp kit tonight at yrc.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Pay you a favor and put a 1000A controller in your system to have access to over 250 lbs-ft of torque.
The difference from 500A will be huge.

About battery, a rework* Chevy Volt battery can be a really good choice for you.
*you can rework those 360V battery to obtain 45V or 90V or 120V or 180V nominal battery.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lots of people have talked about doing a crawler. Not a lot of people have done it. I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Sucks about the motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very exciting! Not necessarily a reccomendation, just an option for you: you can recycle 18650 cells from old laptop batteries for very cheap. If you're comfortable DIYing a battery pack, I couldn't suggest anything better than 18650s.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Where were you going to put the battery pack? Larger tires may not be that great for rollover if the pack placement moves the CG up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So sweet! Do it! I talked to rich Rudman the dude from Manzinita Micro on the phone about his D.C. electric Toyota pick up. He said he can't keep the tires from spinning above 800 amps while crawling with his zilla 2000 amp controller. Also said that you got to watch your motor temperature, It can roast it if you run it hard for over a couple minutes because not enough cooling with his advanced d.c. 8 inch motor setup.

https://www.offroadxtreme.com/news/no-cam-no-heads-and-no-carb-rich-rudmans-all-electric-4x4-toyota/

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. See actual electric rigs that have been built helps a lot.
So it looks like both the sami and Toyota have about 12kw batteries. That about the size I was thinking 12×90ah. I think I need more but don't have that big of a budget plus wanted to start with 144v of agm batteries. Probably look for the highest ah agm I can find and get a 2000w generator to pack around. Also I got some 1/4 inch steel plate from a buddy last night, is that good enough? Thinking two plates spaced about 2.5 inches apart for shaft separation and no clutch.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tipover how does the electric compare to the 1.3 Suzuki motor, like does it run out of power at the top of a hill climb? Is it 96v?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seriously looking at buying a complete volt pack now for around 2000 from a salvage yard and not running bms (I only wheel it once a month and it is a trailer queen). Would need to split the volts in half and double the amp hours. And would need to figure out the charger.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tipover how does the electric compare to the 1.3 Suzuki motor, like does it run out of power at the top of a hill climb? Is it 96v?
It is much more torque that the 1.3, but about the same horsepower. However the torque band is at a much lower RPM. I had to run a higher overal gear ration to stay in the band. I am running 96 volts from a Volt pack. With very little voltage sag compared to the lead acid pack I used in the beginning.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts