DIY Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Can you just do one 144v pack in the front? (All in series).

48v+48v+24v+24v=144v

Then do another 144v pack in the rear. (All in series)

48v+48v+48v=144v

and just parrallel the two packs?
First, that assumes 4 V/cell, but the nominal voltage is 3.75 V/cell, so the first-generation Chevy Volt modules are nominally 22.5 V (6S 3P) and 45 V (12S 3P), resulting in 135 V nominal (and up to 148 V max)...
VOLT_BATTERY.pdf

The complete pack has two small modules and seven large ones, so this scheme would use all but one large module of the pack, which makes good sense to me (if the arrangement of two strings is desired).

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got a zivan ng3 for like 150 bucks on ebay. It is setup for 12 volt batteries. it came from a corbin sparrow. Hummbug has an article on here how to switch it to his desired voltage, 156v? I think. After reading the article I learned that all he did was switch out a resistor with a soldering gun, to get it to the charging range he desired. If you don't want to do this work yourself you can send them to Elcon/Zivan to reprogram them for 75 bucks + shipping. That is what I am doing with my Elcon 2500. I chose this because it may be a little bit better with a little bit better charging amps but I do not really know yet.

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200433&highlight=zivan

·
Administrator
6,443 Posts
What are you charging to?

I'm being conservative

I'm using 4.05 "full" and 3.5 empty

So your 144v battery would be - 36S - 145v to 126v

If you used 4.1v (also conservative) - 147.6v

Matching the voltages the way you are doing is a rough and ready way but it won't leave them balanced

You need to do that but (this once) charge them up above the linear part of the curve

Look up "Top Balance"

I really like those cells!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Well I had the 42 cell pack charged to 175.5 volts 4.18 per cell and that was overcharged for the the Curtis 1231c. Rigged up a fan and a lightbulb off a dc and ac inverter to get it to 173 where it started to work. Now need to run it down some more and hope the charger doesn’t take it over 173.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is awesome, when are we going to get some action shots? Obviously a pretty hard core rig when it had an ICE. Where do you wheel?

I think this has to be a record for going from concept to running vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very cool!

What size is your battery pack going to be? Any guesses on range?

One might guess that at rock crawling speeds it could go quite far per kwh. No wind resistance issues, but those tires are probably on the heavy side.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
That is awesome, when are we going to get some action shots? Obviously a pretty hard core rig when it had an ICE. Where do you wheel?

I think this has to be a record for going from concept to running vehicle.
Probably hit some trails next weekend. We hit parks in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama but our local park in Southern Indiana is called Interlake.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Very cool!

What size is your battery pack going to be? Any guesses on range?

One might guess that at rock crawling speeds it could go quite far per kwh. No wind resistance issues, but those tires are probably on the heavy side.
I guess it would be called a 156 volt pack. Hope to get all day out of 2 packs. Oh yeah those tires are 120 a piece

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.