·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Great forum, thank you to all who made it possible,

I have 2013 Ford Azure Dynamics full electric van, runs perfectly,

The roof is about 2.5 Sq meters (about 27 Sq Ft), I am hopeful that
I will make good use the roof space by installing some nice flexible solar panels to keep batteries topped up and
may use solar energy for propulsion,

:: initially am looking at installing about 500W across two or three panels,
:: the van is equipped with 28KWh Lithium battery
:: Charging is done via a type II AC charger

my question here is how do I wire the panels into the vehicle?

Many thanks and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You roof won't be big enough to make a useful difference, especially give you won't be able to angle the panels towards the sun.

500W of panels would probably get you 1 or 2 miles of range per hour of sun maximum, less if the sun isn't directly above the panel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Emyr,
I am also looking at higher efficiency panels that might even give me something like 1 KWh if I incl the bonet,
I still need the advice about wiring the setup

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I think you can take care of your 12v system with solar.
4 or 5 100W panels and a big LiFePO4 12v pack.
You wont need a DCDC converter then.
Thats all your AC and heating done from solar.
There are regs on Ebay that can adjust to maximum cutoff voltage so you dont overvolt.
I had a system like this on my Mitubishi Express and had the alternator disconnected for 11 months till I sold it.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Ripperton,
I am not concerned about the 12V, I am looking at charging the main Li battery system and/or using solar power for propulsion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
....I am looking at charging the main Li battery system and/or using solar power for propulsion.
Charging the battery system is possible but not sure with using for propulsion unless the roof is big enough to accommodate large panel.

I had solar panel on my electric Mazda626, which I built back in 2016, just to charge my Lead-Acid batteries (144V system).
I had it in series instead of typical 12V configuration.

I used EPever IT6415ND (150V max input, 12/24/36/48V auto-configured output), 12V battery, 12V to 110V DC-to-AC Pure Sine Wave Inverter, and temporarily, capacitive charger.
Originally, I used CH4100 battery charger but it's not working now so I used capacitive charger until I get another (or better) charger.

Just to give you an idea.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts