DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I know this is a tough thing to do, I've spoken with a few people and did quite a bit of research. And despite all the odds, something inside me will not stop thinking about this until I have either done it or ...... I'm sittin in a big mess with empty pockets.

My RV is 10,500 lbs. dry weight. The engine and Chassis are built for 1 ton (12,000 lbs.) Smith Electric builds electric motors for delivery trucks that weigh 16,000 lbs +. http://www.smithelectric.com/ Used by companies like Coca cola, Frito lay, Fed Ex, etc. Supposedly they get a range of 150 miles.

I was wondering if I used their motor, if I could get a further driving range since my vehicle is about 4,000 lbs. lighter?

Does anyone know of anyone who has done an RV Conversion?

With the cost and not really having a place to do the conversion, this is all very overwhelming but there is a drive that eats at me to do this some how some way. So if anyone out there has any ideas or positive motivation for me, I eagerly await your response.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
It depends. The motor is no problem really. Oh, and BTW 12,000 lbs is 6 tons... :D

The key to your 150 mile range is the cost and weight of batteries. You may find that your range requirement pushes you up to the 16,000 lbs you mentioned. Rough rule of thumb is 8Kwh = 1 gallon with respect to range; if your land pig gets 10mph, then going 150 miles will require 8 x 15 = 120Kwh worth of batteries. You're going to need deep pockets for this safari....

Welcome to the forum, now go do some studying (EV Information). Good folks here happy to help with the technical challenges.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the info phantompholly. And the correction of 1 ton....how embarrassing:eek:.

Let's just pretend for a second that I might get a good deal on LiFe PO4 batteries. Any recommendations on which one to look at?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts