DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Here is the basic idea. It will be a series hybrid type. Small V6 gas or diesel engine (leaning toward gas for convenience) mated to a generator (alternator) right at the flywheel. Then a large electric motor to power the drive wheels. The generator would have to be large enough to charge the batteries and power the vehicle; so my rough math says around 75-100 kw minimum.
A 100kW generator would be huge and incredibly inefficient.... you'd get much better performance using the gas/diesel to drive the wheels directly.

That said, I have a colleague who is working on an electric RV. They are using two 'small' Tesla motors (FWD) and a complete Tesla battery pack. They are also using the BMW i3 REx (~20kW) for emergency range extension. They estimate electric only range at more than 250 miles using the Tesla 100kWh battery and said they will rarely drive beyond the battery range in a single day... it will be interesting to see if the REx is ever installed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I think that either they will "camp" at serviced (with power) sites, or they will run the generator, because even a 100 kWh battery is unlikely to be sufficient for a return trip (not just one way) plus power for duration of the stay.
The people in question regularly travel across Europe where power is widely available both at rapid chargers and at camp sites. They kept a daily log last year when they traveled from UK to Greece and back over a six week period, at no point would an RV with a 250 mile range have been a problem for them :)

Remember that most of mainland Europe has three phase power available to the consumer... even your 'standard' charging station at a rest stop is wired at 11kW or 22kW :cool:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
For the drive motor, I think the solution is multiple motors, at least one per drive axle, to avoid the need for a single high-power motor. That could be an entire Tesla or Leaf drive unit at each axle.
I agree and my colleagues have chosen 'small' Tesla drive units because the overall package is so small :cool:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm still young enough to drive more than that daily.....for now.
They can 'easily' drive 500 miles in a day with a single charging stop (for lunch?)... they could use the ~20kW REx for charging but in reality I think they'll just use the public charging infrastructure because it's faster and a lot cheaper than petrol/gas :cool:

Here's the RV conversion candidate in Poland a couple of years ago :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
edit: Forgot that the Model X is AWD. Definitely need two motors.
That's the conclusion we reached and I'm going to test the towing capabilities of my VW Bus Conversion to give us some benchmarks based on a single 'small' drive unit :cool:

Here's another cool Model X towing video :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.