DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I would like to know, is a safety shutter at the outlet of charging station or wallbox mandatory or optional in North America?
Could you please tell me the standard or regulation reference, which I can find this information?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
What do you mean by a "safety shutter"? If you mean a physical door blocking something... no, I don't think that's required for any type of connection.
North American charging connections are
  • SAE J1772 for AC charging only
  • Combined Charging System (CCS) with Type 1 connector (most brands)
  • CHAdeMO for fast DC charging (limited Japanese brands)
  • various Tesla proprietary connections (only for Tesla cars)
There are multiple standards documents covering these connections.

EV charging station standards all include confirming a connection by communication between the charging station and the vehicle before power is applied to the connection. A portable charger is just plugged into a common AC outlet (of various voltages and current ratings); in North America those don't have switches or shutters.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi guys,

I would like to know, is a safety shutter at the outlet of charging station or wallbox mandatory or optional in North America?
Could you please tell me the standard or regulation reference, which I can find this information?

Thanks
I'm assuming you're referring to outlet covers. While I can't answer the question, I'll say that it is probably too broad for any one person to answer. That's something that would fall under regulatory guidance often at the county or municipal level. I've seen plenty of outlet covers, but I can't speak to whether they are required, only required for non-GFCI, or simply a good practice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean by a "safety shutter"? If you mean a physical door blocking something... no, I don't think that's required for any type of connection.
North American charging connections are
  • SAE J1772 for AC charging only
  • Combined Charging System (CCS) with Type 1 connector (most brands)
  • CHAdeMO for fast DC charging (limited Japanese brands)
  • various Tesla proprietary connections (only for Tesla cars)
There are multiple standards documents covering these connections.

EV charging station standards all include confirming a connection by communication between the charging station and the vehicle before power is applied to the connection. A portable charger is just plugged into a common AC outlet (of various voltages and current ratings); in North America those don't have switches or shutters.
Thank you for your information. I checked the SAE J1772 as well as IEC 62196-2 and found the evidence. In the standards, the connector mechanical configurations have vehicle connector and vehicle inlet with type 1 and type 2, but for socket-outlet and plug are only type 2 available. Therefore, type 1 can only be used with tethered plug, a switches or shutter can not be existed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming you're referring to outlet covers. While I can't answer the question, I'll say that it is probably too broad for any one person to answer. That's something that would fall under regulatory guidance often at the county or municipal level. I've seen plenty of outlet covers, but I can't speak to whether they are required, only required for non-GFCI, or simply a good practice.
Thank you for your reply, the outlet cover is a little bit different, covers are used for IP class for dust and water. Here the shutter is protected for voltage shock.
For the outlet covers, standards have the clear requirements, which IP class must be fulfilled for indoor and outdoor, therefore, we can know, whether it is mandatory or not.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thank you for your reply, the outlet cover is a little bit different, covers are used for IP class for dust and water. Here the shutter is protected for voltage shock.
For the outlet covers, standards have the clear requirements, which IP class must be fulfilled for indoor and outdoor, therefore, we can know, whether it is mandatory or not.
Yes, maybe I'm just not clear on what you're asking. My point was, that regulatory requirements for an entire continent would be something you'd have to research.

Because you're actually interested in a specific charging standard, though, yes, you should be able to find the information in the published standards (and it looks like you found your answer).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts