DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
6,442 Posts
Why are you looking for a steering and brake booster for a little car like that?
Keep it simple!
Power steering and brakes are completely unnecessary on a small car

·
Administrator
6,442 Posts
My Lancia was just over 1000 Kg - disc brakes all around - no power brakes or steering
My Mini was good bit lighter - disc brakes on the front - no power brakes or steering
Duncan's Dubious Device is 800 kg - fast modern rack with the "power" removed - no brake booster

All worked well - including on the track

Brake system on your GT - I would be very surprised if you ended up with the same weight distribution as the original car
If I was building it I would build it with two master cylinders and an adjustable balance bar so that I could dial the brakes in to match the actual weight distribution

I have driven cars with the wrong weight distribution to brake balance - its either frustrating or dangerous

·
Administrator
6,442 Posts
Just, an open question...

If you were me, and you had the opportunity to buy whole Prius / Highlander / etc hybrid packs, for like, $30-50 CAD ($25-$40 usd)... and they wanted you to take away, oh, 10-20 of them maybe regularly... should I?

Because... this is suddenly not hypothetical.

There's no way I want Prius energy density, and I don't need the power density, I don't even know what I'd do with them other than maybe resell them (they ebay for $800/pack, but, as to how many actually sell for that amount... who knows... and hybrids/EVs aren't exactly popular in my area).

In other news, they had a Gen 2 Prius at a scrapyard, but someone else got to the inverter in the first couple days, so I'm still stuck without a second inverter to help diagnose whether my inverter is bad or whether I can't follow simple instructions. I did manage to grab:

• the MG1, MG2, i10, i9, DCDC, 12+, and AC wiring harness parts ($10). So that's handy to have now.
  • a proper Gen 2 HVDC wiring loom (minus where they cut it off the battery) ($15), it's probably long enough.
  • 3x various coolant pumps ($22 total),
  • a Gen 2 A/C compressor (takes 3-phase from the main ninverter) ($33), I have a choice between this and the Gen 3 with onboard inverter
  • and the IGBT(?) bricks and a cap from a Gen 1 Prius ($10, I dunno why, but, some electronics nerd is going to thank me some day I suspect).

View attachment 130051
10 packs at $30-50 - personally I would buy them and then see about using/selling them

Even just keeping them until the recyclers start looking for packs ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts