DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
6,431 Posts
My Lancia was just over 1000 Kg - disc brakes all around - no power brakes or steering
My Mini was good bit lighter - disc brakes on the front - no power brakes or steering
Duncan's Dubious Device is 800 kg - fast modern rack with the "power" removed - no brake booster

All worked well - including on the track

Brake system on your GT - I would be very surprised if you ended up with the same weight distribution as the original car
If I was building it I would build it with two master cylinders and an adjustable balance bar so that I could dial the brakes in to match the actual weight distribution

I have driven cars with the wrong weight distribution to brake balance - its either frustrating or dangerous

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Brake system on your GT - I would be very surprised if you ended up with the same weight distribution as the original car
If I was building it I would build it with two master cylinders and an adjustable balance bar so that I could dial the brakes in to match the actual weight distribution
That would be ideal. While not allowing adjustment, the other approach is to change front or rear brakes to get the right balance.

Isn't that what adjusting a proportioning valve does?
No.
A proportioning valve just crudely throttles rear pressure when incoming fluid pressure exceeds a threshold level (which can be adjustable), to compensate for load transfer from rear to front under braking. Until it triggers, front and rear pressure are the same; after it triggers, the rear pressure is lower.

·
Super Moderator
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Forgot to post this...

Went back one last time and tried to grab the AC condensor. Had to destroy the whole dash to get to it, but I finally got to it and... couldn't figure out how to get it out of the plastic.

No matter, grabbed the whole plastic enclosure with it ($22?), and the blower motor and enclosure too ($24?). And grabbed all the AC lines. And cut the remaining motor wire off at the motor (couldn't get to it still). And grabbed a lower stub of the steering column where it enters the rack. Hopefully that's everything.

So, the only part of the AC system I left on the car was the evaporator, which I'm hoping is at least somewhat standardized, so that I can fit whatever one makes sense on my vehicle at a later time.

And, that's all she wrote. I'm sure the car has met the crusher by now.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts