DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taken by some scammers here on DIY. I had asked if anyone had a Synkromotive Controller for sale. A person named Jared Allen emailed me and said Douglas Scola had one for sale and gave his contact information [email protected]. I contacted him and he did say he had a new one for sale. I worked out a deal with him and sent money via Zelle to a registered email through the bank. He then after I had sent the funds came back and wanted money for shipping. The deal was made which included shipping. I was rather pissed off and responded to him that the deal included shipping and he had agreed and I have the correspondence we have made. I told him to ship the item or send a refund. Today since I have had no response from him decided to go my bank and found that he removed the registered email from the account and neither that email or the email I used to correspond with him are active and the person (Jared) remove his response to me about the controller from this forum. Im assuming that Jared is a member of this forum. I will no longer be buying any items for sale from this forum. No matter how much I may want the item I no longer trust anyone here.

One real pissed off mother right now.

Pete :(

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
"Here"?

Don't continue to be stupid. 99% of people are honest to deal with, and I've dealt with several on this forum with no problems. Jeez, man, with 4000 posts, you'd think you'd get to know who everyone here is.

Zelle? Why didn't you just USPS Flate Rate box your cash-stuffed wallet to him?

PayPal has Buyer protection. I've been scanmed twice (elsewhere) - both times I got a full refund, including shipping, from PayPal. Just don't send it as "friends and family"...any seller greedy for PayPal's 5% fee by suggesting you send as F&F shouldn't be trusted in my book, anyway.

Sorry you fell for these a-holes that wreck it for everybody. So, rather than make them fully accomplished in wrecking it for "everybody", how about we just say that you fucked up with how you did it, you've explained what you did as an honest person that has a natural inclination to trust humanity, you're justifiably pissed off, and for people to learn from your trusting nature and get assurances in their transactions anywhere on the Internet?

As far as "here" goes, it's up to you who you trust but broadbrushing everybody here as a scammer and shutting down trading of DIYers' wares as a recommendation is quite a stretch from you dealing with a one-post flimflam man who played you like a fiddle.

Anyway, keep all your notes and docs. I think your calamity MIGHT be tax deductible in the US, if that makes you feel a little better on the amount lost. It's sad to see trusting people get scammed - it's the lowest form of scum that does preys on good faith dealings.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My broad brush is fully justified as I have seen this site degrade quite a bit over the years. I helped locate and expose scammers so I again do that here. But because of the changes I am really not too trusting any longer. If I want something I'll come pick it up in person. If I can't then no deal. Same for me selling. You want it, come get it. In person and I'll show you it works. I do videos showing the items and showing that the items do work. If you want it shipped, well, come get it. I will have some good deals coming but you will have to come pick them up in person. You can thank the assholes for this change in how I do business.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
"You can thank the assholes for this change in how I don't do business."

Fixed that for you.

This market is so small, and with Covid nobody is gunna fly out to pick up your stuff. That limits you to maybe two people where it's worth $4/gal in gas and $60/hr to come get the stuff vs dozens of people paying UPS or Fedex to deliver it.

Your choice. But it's not doing business by any sense of the imagination.

And, of course, you won't ever be buying anything off eBay ever again. Right?

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ebay has pretty much been off the list for quite some time. I still find good deals. Cost of shipping has really hampered sales no matter where you buy. Local is best anymore. It may limit my dealings but that is my choice. It will be another choice to come get it or not. I understand the cost of gas but for many large items the cost of shipping may actually be higher than going out to pick it up in person. Gee. how do I know that.

Business requires honesty and trust.

Well, your fix to my post is wrong. Sorry you got a bit sore at my post. Maybe there is a reason for the soreness.
Im usually good about filtering out scammers. No big flags were raised. Yes, it was a deal I followed through with but it still doesn't make it right to justify that sort of crap.

By the way. why the hell are you sore? Im the one who lost. Not you. Who else really gives a poop if I do business my way or not? It may be an issue for some because they really want what I have. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Because I just dealt with a guy here who would not let Fedex pick up something for me if I sent payment.

"Gotta be here"...cuz, you know...Nigerian prince, cashier's check, and "my agent will give you the cashier's check and pick up the item" lore.

Fedex, ffs. PayPal, ffs.

Instead of $1200, he got $250 and his local pickup. He's happy, and I saved $1200.

Whatever. The ride keeps going, whether you're on it or not.

Business requires integrity. Scammers prey on that reliance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts