DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introducing my self:
My name is Jos Goble, web handle: evplasmaman that's EV-plasma-man, I'm 21 years old, love to build things, love getting my hands dirty and love electric cars. Oh an I can't spell, please beer with me.

Little more on my background:
I am currently building an electric car out of a kit car of a 1929 Mercedes http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/726 and i also worked for Cafe Electric soldering up Zillas for Otmar

The Problem:
So I am currently in the middle of a project in which the out come should be a very powerful scooter. My goal for this project is to make public transportation a real option for a far grater part of the populous. I my self am a commuter and have found my self very lucky to be very close to the Caltrain station. However i have a dilemma. I could simply walk to the train station but its a bit far to walk every morning and late at night. I could ride my bike and take it on the train or leave it at the station, the problem with that is its a huge pain to be stuffed in the special bike car and leaving it at the station isn't much good either because it maybe be stolen or messed with. So I drive my car (Honda Insight, it could be worse) which is not with out its faults. Parking at the station requires a great amount of self control in anger. You are more likely to be struck by lightening twice in a row then to find a parking spot before your train leaves. Once you have found that spot you must dart to the train before the doors close on you leaving you behind to wait for the next train which happens to be a local (stopping at every tree). But enough ranting! I have a plan! I will build a scooter, yes a simple stand up scooter. The idea is to use high energy density low weight lithium-ion batteries, a high-power high efficiency motor to produce a lite but powerful transportation device which I can take on to the train.

The plan:
For a motor I am using an AXI5345/18 motor by model motors of CZ. If I have done my math right (probably haven't, was never very good at it) I should get aprox. 3000 watts from this motor, 3000 watts is equal to 4hp. So if I'm not mistaken in my equations this will be an extremely powerful ride seeing as how most scooters have about 3/4 hp.
For batteries I am using 48 A123s acquired from the new Dewalt 36volt packs. They work out to ~$12 a cell that way, but still expensive )-: However they will give me the energy I require to power this thing.
Finlay the frame will be made out of CNC'd aluminum to save weight and for the cool factor.

So you probably want to see a picture:
Well, since it is not quite finished and I am waiting on the CNC (any day now!!!) I only have CAD drawings done in solid works; none the less they are fun to look at so here you go.

YOU!:
What I want from this post is ideas, questions, complaints (on my ramblings). Lets get an open discussion on how we can fix problems, not only on the technical plane but on the social one as well.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Wow, I'm very impressed aesthetically with your design work! BTW - That is going to be ridiculously fast. 4hp on a scooter!! I'm glad you found some M1 cells to put into it. I'll tell you what one major problem you'll have is: traction. Unless those wheels are made of glue you'll be spinning out a lot with that motor.

What's the estimated cost of everything?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh, traction might be a bit of a problem but ill just go easy on the throttle. I have a 90 amp speed controller to go with the motor. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Question, i don't have the CAD in front of me atm but i know the base is 7" wide and about 2-5 inches off the ground. ill have a look when i get home but i think i did account for that...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep! This is a learning project for me. So the revisions can only get better as my knowledge increases. The best way to learn is to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The best way is to spend the maximum time in cad study, so you save the maximum of money.

For me in Switzerland in center of Europe is midnight then I go to sleep.
You have a nice idea with your scooter, good work and nice to meet you.

Aleks.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Yeah seriously, nice work on the fabrication! I'm impressed that you're doing 100% of it yourself.

I particularly like these:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone!

First of all, congratulations to Evplasmaman for his unbelievable scooter!:)

I am in the process of building one as well, but much inferior to his.

I have no experience on it, so I will need all your help. The idea is to use 2x 12V 26A Lead acid batteries and a 300W DC motor, but I dont know which motor controller to use! any help?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! Thanks for your reply.
Yes, a 24V system. My douth is with the controller.
I assumed that a throttle(potentiometer), the batteries and the motor was all I needed, but them I saw that a controller is also used and I dont know which to choose.

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So this might actually be a better site for you to look at. They have quite a lot of good stuff and i bout several parts form my scooter there.

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/speedcontrollers.html

I don't know what size scooter you are talking about but I would imagine a 500 watt speed controller would be ample so I would recommend the Curtis 1505. I have used it before and it seems to have a few nice feature while still remaining quite simple to use. It should be listed there on the site.

I do encourage you to look around at other controllers and see what would suit your project best. Ask more questions about what you don't understand about controllers, knowing what questions to ask is the key. :)

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he has food for the rest of his life

or

Give a man a match and he is warm for the night, light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life...:p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts